Renu's Week

Monday, September 02, 2019

Report of 2 Sept 2019

Happy Vinayakar Chathurthi (VC)!

It is the birthday of Lord Ganesha (Pillaiyar or Vinayakar in South India), and is a holiday today.  There will be no newspaper tomorrow.  He is the remover of obstacles and there will be pujas (worship services) galore today.

We were happy to speak with the boys online today and that was fun.  VC wishes were exchanged, lives were updated on and there was much laughter, also.  Profanity emerged on occasion - such as when a camera did not work well - something that our sons have learnt from me.  My usage has been toned down as Scott does not care for it.  Even the dean of our medical school mentioned profanity in his speech to all us interviewees, endearing the school to me forever and thrilling me when I got accepted there.

We are well.  The Banyan is fine.  I had to check on one of our patients who had had an abscess - a collection of pus.  Sometimes, these necessitate minor surgery.  This one did not: I used a medicine recommended by local nursing colleagues - "IG paint" - and it worked.  I was pleased.  We also had a male patient walk in after a motorcycle accident; he had scraped his knee and it apparently hurt.  Our trusted paramedical staff cleaned the wound and gave him a tetanus injection.  He came by my room and thanked me before leaving; I had done little other than ply my trade. 

Adaikalam is also fine.  Last week, I was there on one day, the 26th anniversary of the Banyan, 27/8/2019.  There were events galore at Adaikalam - speeches, cake, dances by the patients and lunch with chicken, a special treat.  Some of the patients had been trained by a volunteer dancer and choreographer, and did an excellent job.  The teacher and other staff mentioned that even a reclusive patient opened up nicely to the dance instruction, which was a joy to hear.  Truly, where would we be without the arts and therapies.  After the event and after the crowd left, some of the staff and I danced on stage with the young dance instructor; it was a blast.  It was nice to celebrate 26 years of this magnificent institution. 

Scott and I left for Madurai on Thursday and stopped at Kovanda Kurichi, a bit of a detour from our route but well worth it.  A former patient has recovered enough to return to this village, her native place, and now practices medicine there.  It was fabulous to see it - clean, well-maintained, happy residents and staff.  We had a delicious breakfast of dosais - made by the Banyan personnel - and then saw Vandana, who was also paying a visit.   

We continued on to Madurai and found my Dad sick with a cough and sore throat.  So I suggested gargling and a cough syrup in addition to the antibiotic he was already on, and he improved.  Thank goodness.  We also visited some close friends of my parents in a magnificent place called Gandhigram ("Gandhi Village"), set up by a visionary doctor years ago.  She was Brahmin and defied all manner of convention to marry a Scheduled Caste man, and set up Gandhigram.  These friends of my parents are a feisty pair of lady doctors, choosing not to marry and loving life.  It was very good to see them, though one has been afflicted with dementia. 

We came back to Chennai and attended my colleague Keerthana's brother's wedding.  It was nice.  Scott likes to attend weddings he is invited to and I rather like going, also; it appears to make the hosts very happy. 

I talked to my Dad on our return and he is well on the mend, thank goodness.  Just as it is tough to see little children ill, it is as difficult to see older relatives unwell.  And a particular treat to see them recover.   

Scott and I went to a market at Kalakshetra, our repository of the arts, and bought some fine things such as cotton clothing and pretty earrings made by a pair of ladies who are nice to buy from.  Lovely to support entrepreneurs thus. 

We have eaten cold mangoes today and I am particularly happy to be back in the homeland at such a time that mangoes are available.  Many years, the mango season has ended by the time I return and I am unfailingly irritated by that fact.  Not this year - hooray!

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home