Renu's Week

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Report of 25 May 2019

Good morning!

In the bedroom of our small and cute apartment in Fort Wayne, the blinds are closed to prevent big light.  In the living room of said apartment, 2 young men are asleep and I have taken a photo of them.  The day is off to a great start already.

The struggle is perennial.  Do we stay in India, where the work is beyond fabulous?  Or do we come here, and give the boys a home to go to for an occasional weekend, the chat, some home food?  Or both?  The equation will probably change, as we have told the boys, if grandchildren come along. 

Work has been okay.  The hospital is busy and the patient stream is constant.  To admit patients aged 90 and above is not uncommon - perhaps 2 per day.  This is nice, isn't it - 90 is the new 70.  Yesterday, a memorable patient was a lady aged over 90 whom the physician assistant admitted: he thought she had an infection, which was reasonable.  By the time I saw her, she was struggling to breathe, her blood pressure was dropping and her heart was racing: she was "actively dying."  Her son, the physician assistant had earlier told me, wanted her kept comfortable.  The son had not been in the room earlier, but was present when I went in.  I always tell the patient "Let me wash my hands and then we will talk," after I finish my exam; when I said it this time, the son said, "Can we talk outside?"  We went outside the room and I told the son my assessment.  He thanked me for my candor and then got very teary.  As we started to leave, I asked him if I could give him a hug and he agreed.  It was a little odd: I hug no one in India and hug many a patient relative here. 

I am taking strength training classes with a person trainer.  The goal is 1 leg muscle - any one.  The lady sitting next to me on the flight over here took her luggage from the overhead compartment and then fell.  This instability can happen as we age, and I would like to guard against it.  The 3 Weiss men - being men - have good musculature and I - being a woman - do not.  So here we are in the quest for a muscle.  Naren asked how I felt about aging.  I rather enjoy being older and do not dye my hair, preferring to flaunt my age; I would, however, like to be a bit fit.  Travel itself can be exhausting and if we have to run between airport gates, I'd like to be able to do that.  Navin states he has tried to exercise daily to keep dementia - we have a family history of it - at bay.   

We saw the movie "White Crow" about Rudolf Nureyev.  It was very nice to see his story on screen.  When my aunt visited the former Soviet Union, she was at a museum looking at a display.  A man next to her said something to her and she turned around; he quickly told her not to, that Soviet citizens were told not to talk to foreigners, that he was extremely curious about my aunt's experiences and they chatted, all the while looking straight at the display and not at each other.  It was not in the least romantic, but friendly and interested.  This was a fascinating account.  Where would we be if we could not talk to people from other countries.  Look at the man I married. 

I hope you have some great times this week.

Unw -

R

We 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home