Renu's Week

Monday, August 12, 2019

Report of 12 Aug 2019

Man, sometimes a 3-day weekend just hits the spot, doesn't it.

Today is Bakrid, a Government holiday.  Scott did not have to go to work, I had no clinic at Kovalam with the recent financial crunch.  It's not just the financial crunch that is cutting services at the B, ostensibly; we are trying to transition services to the Government, which is where they belong.  That said, I miss the patients, I hope they are well and I hope they continue to be well.  I did thoroughly enjoy my day off, however - grocery-shopped, cooked, cleaned, made a delicious (if I may say so myself) salad.

Our (India's) refrigeration techniques are not great, thus our produce is fresh.  In addition to the standard cukes, tomatoes and carrots in the salad, a touch of raw mango does the trick for me.  It is tart when raw and sweet when it starts to ripen.  I can eat salad for 3 meals a day.

The virus attack that sometimes happens at Kovalam happened last week also and I was sick on Thursday.  I had to shorten my workout and then plopped on the sofa.  I did manage to get a bit stronger by the time I had to go to Adaikalam and Scott drove me, thank goodness.  I saw the patients and also checked on some staff who were unwell.  Adaikalam is unfailingly a charge to my DNA; there is always a kind word and hot food and considerable geniality. 

Scott and I ran some errands on Saturday and found our way to our favorite restaurant - Writer's Cafe.  The manager there is a dear, and the establishment is thriving due to myriad factors: the tasty and affordable food, the proximity to a women's college (Ethiraj), the fact that it is a rehabilitation strategy for women afflicted with burns, the very fun staff and very personable manager.  We had a good meal and toodled back home, having to buy a fridge en route. 

A fridge is truly a necessity, isn't it.  I ate some food that had been sitting out a bit too long, I think, and got very sick on Sunday.  I took an anti-spasmodic that I prescribe to our patients and it helped immensely.  I was grateful the fridge arrived.

Adaikalam was wonderful.  One of our patients who is very loquacious in her mental illness was being aided by another patient: the latter drew her a picture and the former was to engage in coloring it.  It was nice.  Otherwise rounds are unfailingly interrupted with the lady's chatter; it is unceasing and quite a feat.  I like it when patients help other patients.  One of the other patients who has recovered well enough to join us as a staff member came by; she wanted to know if she ought to dye her hair.  I am not a fan, thus dissuaded her: the quality of dyes here - as anywhere - is variable.  She said she applied henna to her hair and I said that was a better option. 

We hung out with the boys this morning and that was grand fun.  Lots of talk and laughter and then deep philosophical insight: a friend of one of the boys was injured in the shooting in Dayton, Ohio, and we talked at length about that.  All of us are extremely glad the injured young man is recovering, and our thoughts are with the families of the deceased victims. 

I talked to my Dad yesterday and that was nice.  He said he deliberately skipped the portion of the newspaper dealing with the shootings as he absolutely did not want to read of them.  That is understandable, isn't it.

May you have all things good.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home