Renu's Week

Monday, July 15, 2019

Report of 15 July 2019

Good afternoon!

We are well and hope the same with you.  I am in the library at Fort Wayne and was here when the doors opened - like a candy store opening. 

Work has been fine.  To work as a physician and use grey matter to try to figure out what is up with the patients is nice.  It is a busy hospital and a tertiary hospital, where patients from other hospitals and surrounding areas come. 

The Banyan is fine.  Yoga classes are underway in Kovalam and that is nice.  At the American College of Physicians conference this year and in the Continuing Medical Education for opioid prescribing that we have to do, it was revealed that yoga could help with pain.  A lot of our older patients in India have arthritis and I am hopeful that yoga will help with their pain.

We were fortunate to have both boys with us on a couple of weekends.  My nephew is taking flying lessons and flew us on a small plane to a family event in Dayton, Ohio.  To have my nephew also in Fort Wayne was fun.  All of it was nice - the company, the plane ride, the party.  As I age, I appreciate being able to see family.

There was a memorable patient here.  He was 90 years old and was admitted with pneumonia.  Having just seen the movie "Yesterday," and noting that he looked like George Harrison, I remarked on it and asked if he knew who GH was.  With a gentle smile, he said he thought so.  I started him on treatment for pneumonia and stated that he was a handsome man, quickly showing the ring on my L index finger and mentioning that I was very married.  His daughter laughed.  It was a gentle, sweet interaction.  I found out later that the gentleman's condition had worsened and he had died.  This is affecting me in surprising ways: I think of him and his daughter a lot, and am also amazed that I am often one of the last people that a seriously ill patient can meet. 

Life has all sorts of experiences, does it not. 

I got to talk to my father and sister (who is visiting Madurai) today.  That was very nice.  Scott - already in India - and I also got to chat on Whatsapp and that was a treat.

Unw -

R

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home