Renu's Week

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Report of 24 Feb 2019

Hello from Chennai!

The sea was blue when I started at the computer and - on finishing emailing - is now white.  A weird white in parts, and grey in parts. 

It was good to get back to work.  "Medicine is a jealous mistress," says my father, who has never taken much time away from the job.  I started my short week with private practice and saw a young lady who likely needs a brain MRI; she is 32 years old and the mother vetoed the MRI.  For the first time in practice in India, I had to brandish patient autonomy and state that this was the young lady's decision; said young lady agreed but the mother was not at all happy.  This can happen in India, that the parents take all manner of decisions for the children. 

Adaikalam was wonderful.  Lots of chatter with the staff and sharing of some candy that I'd brought from the U.S.  One of our patients who is mentally challenged has had repeated seizures; I feel terrible.  Treatment for the seizures is being addressed by our psychiatrists: this is not uncommon in India, as many psychiatrists also train in neuro sciences.  I feel relieved that the patient is with us: with her mental challenge and her seizures, it is possible that her family would not have taken care of her. 

The rest of the week was spent recovering, but Scott and I did manage to get to an organic food store, and a festival where several craftspeople brought their wares.  Such festivals are unfailingly fun, and we had a good time. 

The young men are likely also recovering from their weekend of travel, and we will talk next week, hopefully.  It was nice to see them in San Diego.  The wedding was in the Museum of Natural History, and many of the exhibits were wonderful. 

I hope to talk to my Dad this evening.  I spoke to him on my return and he is well, thank goodness.

Unw -

R   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home