Renu's Week

Sunday, January 06, 2019

Report of 6 Jan 2019

Good evening from the Bay sighting!

We are in the living room with our respective laptops.  The evening is turning to night, the sea and sky are not very distinct any more. 

We are okay.  The Banyan is also fine.  We lost a patient this week.  She had had black stools, and I suspected an internal gut bleed.  Her blood pressure was low, but she was talking, and walking.  Thus, I ordered fluids for her, and asked for a blood pressure to be called to me after the fluids.  The pressure was still a bit low, but she continued to walk, and talk, and drink.  I mulled over the option of sending her to the hospital, but she looked good and they would have continued to watch her, too.  Later that night, I got a phone call that there was no blood pressure or pulse after the patient had gone to the restroom.  I asked that she be taken emergently to the hospital, but braced for the outcome.  She died, gently, and painlessly.  I suppose we have to be grateful for that.  The staff informed me later that the patient had also vomited brown colored fluid immediately before demise, and the bleeding diagnosis is solidified. 

We are a family.  All of us grow old together, we have to get glasses on as we age, and we move slower; we celebrate with each other as colleagues or their children get married.  We also lose family members in the circle of life.

I remain perennially grateful that the patients who die do not die miserable, lonely and pathetic deaths on the street, but pass away in clean environs, surrounded by surrogate family who love them and take care of them, and do the rituals necessary for a deceased soul to go to heaven. 

Private practice is fine.  One of the patients came in with fever; she is also undergoing fertility treatments and is a precious person (all are, actually).  I gave her IV fluids, and checked some blood tests; more are to come, and I hope to come to a cause of the fever.  It is nice to be in a speciality where one has to sleuth.

We were at a farmers' festival yesterday at a local college, and that was very nice.  There was also traditional music and folk dancing, and every cell in my body responded.  As we watched a performance, I felt a finger dig into my left waist.  I turned, and knew that the creepy fellow on my right had done it; I abhor this kind of stuff, and raised my voice, yelling and telling him that somebody in his family would likely come to grievous harm on account of his actions.  I need to vary my curse and tell such types that something bad would happen to them, though the greatest blow to such jerks is when something happens to a family member.  Curses and words are big business in India.  A crowd gathered, all reprimanded this guy; Security was far away, thus we had to take matters into our hands.  Then Scott and I walked away, trying to enjoy the rest of the fest. 

The boys and we "hung out" this morning; that was fun.  The session had to be postponed after we got on, as I got a phone call; I was quite disconcerted, but Scott gestured to me that the session was cut and we could resume after my call.  That was nice.  There was a lot of talk and laughter, and Navin even ate a sandwich through the conversation; Scott and I sometimes eat breakfast during this session.  Naren mentioned the victory that our beloved Spurs had got over the Raptors, and we got into a lengthy discussion about the Kawhi Leonard issue.  It was fun.  We are great admirers of Gregg Popovich, and he is showing his usual classiness by wishing Kawhi well. 

It is a New Year.  May new, nice things come your way.

Unw -

R  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home