Renu's Week

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Report of 23 Dec 2018

Good evening!

'Tis the season to share, and Scott and I have gifted each other a virus.  Some folks at a meeting we were at last week did the gifting first, and here we are. 

The Banyan is fine.  We had slightly less than the huge crowd we usually do at Kovalam's clinic last week.  This was okay, as I had a patient of my own at home.  I hastened home to the sick one, and he is on the mend slowly.  We did have to cave in and start him on an antibiotic, which I am usually loath to do, as antibiotic resistance (i.e., a phenomenon where the bacteria causing the illness do not respond to the antibiotic) is a very real entity. 

Fluids and rest are so under-rated in recovery.

A young colleague of mine had been bitten by an insect and developed an allergic reaction; I had to call in meds on the phone.  I saw her a couple of days later, and she had completely healed.  I was happy.  These young women leave their families often as teenagers and come to work with us, providing for their families far away, and often paying to educate younger siblings when they themselves had to stop studying; all this sometimes rips my heart out and the older I get, the younger these young women appear to be.  Daughters, in essence, and I feel privileged to work with and care for them. 

Adaikalam is also fine.  I could only go one of two days this week due to the sick one.  It was still good and I managed to get all the patients seen.  One of them had abdominal pain and it was difficult to sort the story out.  Later, the patient told the caregivers that she had faked the pain as we (at the Banyan) were not sending her home.  Fake or not, we cannot ignore the symptoms.  Thankfully, her ultrasound was normal. 

Private practice is also fun.  I love the village where the clinic is. 

We "hung out" with the boys yesterday and that was nice.  Lots of candor and laughter.  Both planned to spend part of the weekend together, which was good to hear.  They cannot come for Christmas this year and that is wrenching; however, they will be with Scott's cousin, his wife, and family, whom we spent Thanksgiving with.  These are truly loving and kind folks, and we are happy they will host the boys.  My sister-in-law in Bangalore, also a loving and kind person, will host us for Christmas this year and we will drive there tomorrow.   

We attended a Christmas carol service, featuring choirs from across the city, an annual event.  It was lovely.  There is always a sing-along at the end and as I sang along, I noticed that my voice was cartoonishly different, I was almost out of tune.  This morning, the reason emerged - a virus causing a sore throat.  So there have been salt water gargles and plenty of lying in bed.  I miss my swim, but the body sent a clear message to me to not dunk it in freezing water.  Got to listen.

Yesterday, my nephew and his wife joined us for lunch.  They are visiting from Australia and graciously made time for us.  It was grand fun, and we totally appreciate having the younger generation around.  It was nice to chat and eat and laugh, and know of their life in the land down under. 

We hope you get to chat and eat and laugh with your loved ones.  Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2019 to all of you!

Unw -

R  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home