Renu's Week

Monday, September 24, 2012

Report of 24 Sept 2012

Hello from Indy!

We are well, and hope the same with you.

Work has been good, and things usually happen at this time in my stay, aligning the cosmos for my departure.  Last week, one of my colleagues regretfully said something (unwittingly) disparaging about a patient with a mental illness who collects disability, or payment to compensate a person for being unable to work for reasons of illness.  Said colleague indicated that she would like disability benefits; as I told Scott, no, she would not.  As with Pistorius, anyone who thinks having a disabling illness is an advantage has never had such an illness or had friends/family members with the same.

Time to go.

One of my patients was sent back to the hospital from our rehab facility, as her heart was racing and her breathing was becoming more rapid.  She was 90 years old, and had bacteria in her blood.  She worried me.  She subsequently died in the hospital, in the care of Hospice.  It was saddening, but I was glad Hospice was involved. 

We had dinner at the home of my able colleague, Dr. Angela, and her family.  It was a home-cooked meal at their table, and we had a very nice time.  Her husband and 2 of her 4 children joined us; I am unfailingly delighted to meet children of friends.  These 2 young folks were lovely additions to the evening and were opinionated and chatty, which added to the fun.  It was very cool to see the "loving wife and mother and hospitable host" side of my doctor colleague.

Scott turned a year older last Saturday and we celebrated with a visit to Terre Haute, a quick b'fast with our busy son and some time watching the Track and Field team celebrate their championship.  Navin's event is the triple jump and he is ably coached by the junior coach, the senior coach's son.  We also met the senior coach's wife, and the whole event was truly a family affair; it was a fun time.  Navin is privileged to have some fine professors and mentors at his college.  We then Skyped with Naren, and that was fun, too.  The boys got up to their usual male humor, somewhat bawdy, but it was all funny and we had a good time. 

Scott and I then saw "The Master," which was excellent.  Scott found it weird and I thought the acting was excellent, depicting mental illness in a respectful light; this is big for me after starting work at the Banyan.  We also saw "Trouble with the curve," and that was okay.  Amy Adams is starting to prove herself as a versatile, capable actress.  We then went to the farm and cooked dinner for the relatives.  It was a merry, loud affair and I laughed quite a bit.  It was cool to do for others - cook, clean, indulge. 

I tried to talk to my Dad and the connection was poor.  No matter, I'll be home soon. 

Unw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home