Renu's Week

Monday, September 17, 2012

Report of 17 Sept 2012

Good afternoon from Indianapolis!

Hope all of you are well.  We are fine, in our respective corners of the world.

Work is good and our patients who had come in with catastrophic strokes are well on the mend.  The young man with the lovely wife is now slowly walking and talking, as already mentioned, and his engineer sense of humor (I know this well, trust me) is well to the fore.  Our marine person's wife is also on the mend and she is talking slowly.  These are grand successes for us, which I count as such; at one time, there were other things I wanted but age and perspective set in.

Some grand times this past weekend - Boni, Tami, Ruth and I got together for b'fast at Boni's place.  These folks worked at St. Vincent during my time there and we have remained friends since, to my great delight.  B'fast and the chatter were great, and we also shared tips that have worked for us with our kids.  There was a lot of laughter and the camaraderie that women share when getting together.  Scott and I then went to have lunch with my young Indian physical therapy colleagues; it was at Priya's house and her husband, Rakesh, endured us well.  Himanshu joined us and it was a merry time, with Priya's tasty cooking; she is vegetarian but cooks meat for her husband and she had made some delicious shrimp as part of lunch  There was a lot of laughter here, too, comparing the quirks of both cultures.  These folks represent the new South Asia (Rakesh is from Pakistan) - intelligent, goal-oriented, mobile and motivated.

Scott then went to see my in-laws, and do farm chores.  I stayed here, saw "Arbitrage" and ate some favorite restaurant food.  The movie was good; surprisingly, we had seen no preview for it.  I also went to a Zumba class and had a blast - music, Black women dancing in perfect rhythm, and just the sheer joy of the music and dance.  My knee did not appreciate these joys.  In the evening, Louise Hass and I met for our annual dinner; Louise is also ex-St. V, and someone I enjoy getting together with.  We discussed all manner of topics, including politics and religion (there are very few people one can do this with, aren't there), and it was a fun evening.  Louise treated me to dinner, and recounted some of her travels; she is off again soon and I am happy that she does what she enjoys.

I finally got to talk to my father; he had been busy with cultural activities such as plays and dances.  My mother and he did much of this, my mother more so.  As she became disabled, she had to hear about our sons' various performances on the phone and I used to think that must have been difficult for such an aficionada.  One year, the boys did sing to her; that makes for some fond memories. 

Unw -

R

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home