Renu's Week

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Report of 22 July 2012

Good afternoon -

It is a time to ponder, a time to wonder why a young man little older than our sons would open fire and kill folks at a movie theater.  It is also a time to feel fortunate that our sons are who and where they are.  In India, after the Mumbai terrorist shootings and the capture of the lone terrorist who survived, people also prayed for said terrorist.  I think that would be good, to pray for this 24 year old, and for his family.  It would also be appropriate to pray for and remember the victims and their families in this time of their darkness.

We are otherwise well, and hope the same with you.  Sometimes, events cause different responses in folks depending on demographics.  I know the Colorado situation will resonate with every parent who has given no thought to permitting their children to catch a long-awaited first screening of a movie.  We are avid movie buffs, and cannot imagine the horror of waking up to this kind of news.

Work has been fine, and I have had a couple of doctor patients.  One of them started to dictate management and I asked that he let me do my job, as I would not dream of telling him how to do his.  I had a willing ally in his wife, a former nurse, and together, we got through this patient's hospitalisation.  The other patient's wife was different - she slipped him herbal laxatives that she used to sell, she challenged his counselling as she had a master's degree in counselling psychology, she thought his anti-depressant caused his belly ache.  Sigh.  I understood her concern as a spouse and said so, but had to ask again that this lady let us do our jobs.  As I have often said, the sick patients are fine; I do not like healthy people. 

We did see "Batman" and enjoyed it immensely.  I counted 4 Academy Award winners - Caine, Cotillard, Bale, Freeman - and 1 nominee - Oldman, in the flick.  We then got some lunch, and headed to the farm.  Scott's Mom and many of his family members are off on a cruise to Alaska, and I wanted to ensure that his aunt and uncle were okay.  These are a couple of my favorite folks.  It was a spectacular day; we sat outside while Scott, Navin and Uncle Norb tried to repair some farm equipment and then ate dinner.  We cooked a couple of meals for the folks to eat later in the week; it is so easy to cook here, and the crockpot (slow cooker) makes it even easier. 

We ate breakfast at Cracker Barrel today, and I am very glad many restaurants now have healthy options.  Navin is at work, and Scott and I hung out at a bookstore and are now at the library.  I got to talk to my Dad today and that was fabulous; just chatter and geniality and bonhomie.  We also got to talk to Naren, and there was more bonhomie and geniality, though it was a short call - he was off to watch the finals of a play competition.  Navin and I spent last Thursday evening loafing around Target and that was nice; one on one time with the young man showed me that he has indeed stayed genial, helpful, kind, loving and funny.  Nothing like some time alone to reaffirm that, and I am glad the good feelings were indeed reaffirmed; it helps me stay the course with trying to understand his plans.

Hope all of you are well.

Unw -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home