Renu's Week

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Report of 3 July 2012

Good evening!

It has been a fine few days.  Having both our sons with us has been a treat, the last time all of us were in the same place was Aug 2011, and even taking a car ride with all has been good.

Naren spent last week at his grandmother's farm, helping with chores and helping his granduncle bale hay.  I was happy he did all of that.  Scott picked him up on Friday, they got Navin, then me, and we went to Chicago.  The boys stayed with one of Naren's former classmates near the U of Chicago, and Scott and I stayed at a nice motel in a fairly rough neighborhood.  We had breakfast at a local restaurant the following morning, and it was spectacularly tasty.  The menu also had instructions for buffet patrons, stating that there would be a charge for wasted food, and I loved it. 

The boys' school in India is very unique.  It is founded on the philosophy of J. Krishnamurthy, which I don't completely understand.  It helps the students introspect through all situations, good and bad.  I have never heard of a punishment there, and the kids are free to cut class and sit under a tree if they can justify it.  Anyone making mistakes has a 1 on 1 chat with the principal or a teacher, and there is a lot of soul-searching.  In the real world, these folks appear to be misfits because they simply do not compete, and are happy with themselves.  ("You can tell a KFI student a mile off," is a common refrain.)  Students and former students gravitate towards each other, even between ages, and share a very unique, soothing bond.

We got the boys and returned home on Saturday, chilling out that evening.  The following day was a busy dash of breakfast at Patachou, movie ("Magic Mike," which all enjoyed), shopping, Euro cup finals (go, Spain!) and dinner with my former boss, Ed Stone, and his lovely wife, Mary.  It was a fine evening, with Ed and Scott matching each other's senses of humor, and probably the best Greek food I have ever had.  Ed and Mary were also very gracious with our sons, including them in conversation and Mary passing over her food for the boys to taste: once a Mom, always a Mom.

Yesterday, 2 of us (Navin and I) went to work, Scott working from home.  In the evening, we visited the Bartons in Greenwood and that was nice.  They are sweet and hospitable people, and 3 of us know them already; Naren discovered why we like them so much.  We then went to see "Think like a man," and enjoyed it. 

Work has been fine, made that much better by the thought that 3 Weiss men would be at home when I got done with my day.  Our patient census has increased, and I am privileged to be paid for doing something I enjoy. 

Unw -

R

1 Comments:

  • Hello Renu

    This is Sundaravalli (aka priya). I stumbled upon your blog after reading an article about you and your father that appeared in The Hindu several years ago.

    Your story is very very inspiring, and your blog beautifully written. Before I take time reading your entries, I wanted to dash off this note to you. I am an ex-vikaasite and was much your junior, though I have seen you in school. I was also Vinod's junior.

    I am sharing your news paper article with my medico class mate who hoes that her teenage son will pick up medicine one day. I did the reverse route - studied medicine and switched to Engineering and then pottery in the US! I live in Auroville near Pondicherry.

    Best wishes to you. Will follow your story online.

    By Anonymous sundaravalli, at 10/7/12 4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home