Renu's Week

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Report of 15 March 2011

Hello from the land of the overstuffed -

Today, Naren turned 20 and asked if we could have breakfast at the newly-opened Hilton. But of course: b'day requests, within reason, have to be satisfied. So we went: the place is opulent, beautifully decorated and the service obsequious. The only other guests there were the ones who'd come on someone else's tab. We ate non-Indian food (called "continental food" here) with gusto, and the boys ate waffles and chocolate chip muffins and choco cereal with much glee. It was nice to sit and talk and laugh and soak up the ambience. The service by our waiter was superlative, and he even brought a very nice cake for Naren, which we were too full to eat but which they packed up for us. We took a picture of the waiters and Naren, and complimented our waiter extravagantly to the manager: not enough good things are said in the world, and I must express appreciation when warranted, I feel.

It's very hard not to say "I told you so" to your child when some event that you can see unfolding before your eyes, but which your child is too teenager-ish to see, eventually unfolds, isn't it. I watched Navin's prep for one of his tests earlier, and it was inadequate, and I urged more; the adolescent thought not, went off and took his test and did not do well. I do realise they must make their own mistakes, but it is extremely difficult not to point out that things could certainly have been different. Keeping my mouth shut is always a challenge; today being Naren's b'day, I was determined to keep the mood cheery and tried resolutely to stay upbeat. That went okay, but the "I told you so" kept threatening to roll off the tongue. I have, however, made the mistake of urging caution with the people Navin hangs with, and that went as you might expect - stony silence, a glazed look, and a tangible change in mood.

Our neighbor, Usha, has been invaluable in explaining adolescents to us. We are very fortunate in our friends and neighbors.

The Banyan has been fine. I have also treated folks around our flat, and that has gone well, too. There are several young women here from Chhatisgarh, a most impoverished state, and I stopped to talk to one of them. I am full of admiration for these ladies: they leave their homes and families and crushing poverty behind at a very young age, and take up employment far away. To a person, they are kind and good and pretty, and appear to settle well in Chennai. One of them, Ms. S, calls me "Didi (big sister)," and chatted for a while today, talking about how she can no longer visit her home for longer than 2 weeks, having got used to life outside. I have treated one of them medically, and felt pretty responsible for ensuring the recovery of a young woman, far from home.

Anu and Benji stopped by today to drop off a present for Naren, and had b'day cake and tea. It was good to see them, and I will always appreciate being in touch with my family. Vinu called to wish Naren, they shared some laughs and then I got to talk, which was also good fun. Naren called my father to get his blessings, and my father felt bad that he had forgotten the day, and asked that I give Naren some cash on his behalf; it was nice to talk to my Dad, too.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home