Renu's Week

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Report of 2 March 2011

Hi from Chennai -

I am eating the last of a chocolate tart made by our beloved bakery, Winners, that trains underprivileged kids. Their fare is uniformly delicious so we buy from there not as a pity party but out of greed and gluttony.

It strikes me that I know the reason for Mother's Day now. We (mothers) appear to do more of the disciplining and correcting and enforcing rules; I had to have a massive argument this morning with at least 1 son and that was not fun. I imagine when I am dead and gone they will remember some lessons. Scott has it easier, like some fathers: does not really get into issues of behavior or healthy practices, manners and courtesy, unless the situation is very far gone. Once a psychiatrist who came to the boys' school to talk to us about drug use told us to keep telling our children of right choices, and that the messages do stick whether it seems that way or not.

When you combine my obsessiveness with teenage rage, the combination cannot be pretty. The boys do fairly well, overall, with tolerating the endless "Get up early, go run, no you cannot have another piece of candy," but it is not without turbulence.

The Banyan is fine. A lot of strange thyroid test reports, and I have had to ask repeatedly whether the patients are taking the meds regularly - on an empty stomach, and daily. I am assured that they are. One of the health care workers (hcw) has a sister, Ms. R, who recently married and had a baby; Ms. R's thyroid results are off and I have asked if she took the meds. Often I encounter patients (impoverished and otherwise) who've listened to non-doctor friends or relatives and taken some faulty decisions; in this case, I think Ms. R was told by friends to stop the thyroid meds as she was pregnant and then nursing, as "it might harm the baby." I am hopeful that she did continue the meds during pregnancy as a normal thyroid is vital for the fetus. I have not heard anything about the baby, but I continue to hope.

Our cook went to her hometown to visit her ailing father. She had described his symptoms to me, and it sounded like either tuberculosis or heart failure or both. I sent some meds, including some precious antihistamines brought from the U.S., and lo and behold, the man is much better. Eating well, walking, etc. I still don't know what the diagnosis is as I have not seen any of the test reports; however, the cook is elated that her father's health is better. As am I.

Illness in a family member can sure rock one's world, can it not.

Scott and I got to see "The Fighter" and "True Grit" and a Tamil movie called "Yudham Sei." This was while Navin was being tutored on successive days. All the flicks were good, and I thought had some solid acting. "The King's Speech" is supposed to release here some day and we hope to see it. All my picks for the main awards at the Oscars won (I thought both Christian Bale and Melissa Leo were outstanding in their roles, we have not seen the other 2 - Portman and Firth), except for Annette Bening, who was very good in "The kids are all right." I was sorry "Winter's Bone" got shut out, but that happens sometimes. It is a great flick, nonetheless.

We bought some extra sarees for the widows that we know employed at the complex and at our house, and gave them. My mother would have wanted that. And so did we. The lady who helps clean our house was 22 when her husband committed suicide; with the sheer tenacity of a piranha, she is educating her children and working to provide for them. Her brother and sister-in-law (our cook) are helping. The boys were particularly delighted with the gifting to the widows; one Diwali, when our cook fasted all day for the good of the family (the men rarely do, the women often), the boys stated that this was a man-made notion, and that no Vedas (our ancient books) would have forced a woman to fast on a festival day surrounded by sweets and goodies that she had made while the men and children ate and made merry. I don't think the Vedas advocate that we ostracise widows, either.

The Board exams are under way and the Board (bored?) boy is studying. He studies with music playing and headphones on, and it is not my way, but it is his. While I don't understand it, I told him forcing him to turn the music off would be like forcing me to study with music on. Naren modelled for a show for the World Gold Council, and said it was exhausting, and that he deserved every paisa of the money he was paid.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home