Renu's Week

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Report of 6 Feb 2011

And another month is on us -

I am in my bright, sunny living room, it is about 75 degrees outside and the sun is happily shining. We have a lone plant on the balcony that is doing so well it is outgrowing its little pot. Neither of us has a green thumb, really, but this plant is a resilient little wonder, doing well in spite of us.

Sundays are good days - no maid or cook, the whole fam here and a leisurely breakfast replete with junk. Often, I let the kids have chocolate with their b'fast and our favorite bakery that trains underprivileged kids churns out very luscious pastries, so we tend to indulge. And then the conversation flows, always the fun part for me. The boys have few secrets from us (I think it's completely appropriate to have some), and even fewer from each other, and are opinionated and insightful, so I enjoy the talks.

I was in Madurai last week to attend Dr. Kurien's funeral. We could not get through to Mrs. Kurien earlier in the week to find out when the funeral was; my sister-in-law, Susan, managed to contact her, so gave us the info that it was to be on Wednesday. Scott and I drove down on Tuesday. The roads are markedly better now, as the Government has realised what developed countries figured out (and had the money for) early on: that roads improve connectivity and trade and the economy. The 480 km (300 miles) was covered in a little over 6 hours, when it used to take 9 or 10 due to terrible roads full of potholes.

Nina (nee Kurien) Zachariah was down from the U.S. and it was good to see her, despite the circumstances. We were classmates from the ages of 10-15, and share things from that era - idiotic jokes, silly crushes, memories of a fun, innocent time. We got to talk for a little bit, and that was lovely. Mrs. Kurien is a dear, and we got to talk to her a little bit, too. I am a fan of physical contact, and like hugs, and think that a touch or a hug or a hand on the shoulder helps morale considerably - especially at such times. My father came with us to the funeral, and saw some old students and friends, so he had plenty of folks to talk to. I got to meet an old student's son, a handsome young man quite our sons' age, and that was fun - the next generation is on to achieve great things. Weddings and funerals - I suppose those are times when we get to see many people in one spot.

My father's cook, Ms. A, is pregnant, and she and her husband are elated. This young lady had been abused ad infinitum by her parents, who seized her money or her jewellery at every opportunity, and her good husband has put a stop to all that. (My father and his friends found said mate and got the young lady married.) The couple is very happy together, and live in a little room behind my parents' house. Last time I was in Madurai, Ms. A, told me of a trip she, her husband and his relatives had taken to a temple near the sea; all had also found time to go to the beach and play in the water, and Ms. A had had a spectacular time. I think it was the first time she had seen the sea, and one of the few times she'd had any sort of happy time, and I was very glad for her. She brought her pregnancy test reports for me to look over, and everything appears to be going along well, except that the young lady needs to lose some weight (not necessarily now); I tell you, it is nice to have the medical knowledge to discern right from wrong. I couldn't escape medicine while away, but that was okay - especially as it involved reassuring a young, anxious mother-to-be, who has not really had a whole lot of good in her life before now.

My father had a full battery of tests done at Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, a fine institution where Anu and Benji work, and has to take some meds on a regular basis. On our walk back from the Kuriens' place, I noticed he was panting and had to use his inhaler. On examining him, I heard a wheeze that cleared with deep breathing, and we have come to the conclusion that my father is out of shape and deconditioned; he aims to walk daily, I hope that happens.

We were fortunate to have Greg Brown, also an alumnus of Uthscsa, visit us with his Brazilian friend, Luciana. It is unfailingly a treat to see Greg, and talk and laugh and debate with him, and it was nice to meet Luciana, too. They were nice enough to take us out to dinner at our favorite restaurant - a lovely place with great salads and dessert - that has now priced itself out of our patronage. Greg landed with a heap of chocolate and nuts for us, and I told Luciana it was always good to see him - for more reasons than one :). Greg is a big fan of the Banyan, and took Luciana to see it; she was impressed. It remains a *great* place to work.

Naren was interviewed in the paper about his views on religion and it was a cool article. Navin is cracking the books at his pace. We do not inherit the world from our parents, we merely borrow it from our children - said someone. On two occasions, we have seen our sons' friends outside and had merry conversations with them. Navin's friends once invited me to have ice cream with them, and I stood outside the little kiosk, thinking what a treat it was to interact with the young people.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home