Renu's Week

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Report of 26 Jan 2011

Hello from my breezy living room -

It is Republic Day today, and a holiday for us. Nice. Naren came last night to spend the night, and we did not get to have breakfast together, because our cleaning person (yes, we have that luxury in our overpopulated country) came right then. We don't like to eat in front of her, because we can afford many things that she cannot. But she did share a cup of coffee with us.

It is also the 12th anniversary of my brother Manu's demise. Robust, handsome, full of life, liked to dance, loved his sisters. I could not speak of his passing with any ease, and it has become easier after my mother has passed away; weird. Scott had booked tickets to go to Madurai and accompany my father to the cemetery, but a political party here pulled some stunts and was disciplined; fearing backlash and its repercussions on public life, my father suggested that Scott cancel his trip and he did.

It is a matter of great relief for us that Susan, Manu's widow, has stayed in touch with us and all of us get together regularly. The cousins, in particular, adore each other and that makes me happy.

Let me clarify when I say I've been off from the Banyan: I have taken leave to help Navin prepare for board exams. These are mammoth exams that are taken at the end of classes X and XII, and XII is particularly crucial as it is pre-college; however, the buzz is that potential employers are now asking for 1oth grade marks also. I've taken off for the boys' exams before, and it is de rigeur: ferry them to tutoring, to school for review sessions, ensure they eat on time, keep a carb load handy, etc. This has blown some of our American friends' minds, that parents take time off to see their kids through exams, but it is very commonplace here.

The Banyan has been alright. Before I left, one of our patients, Ms. Ma, consumed drain cleaner. This is not good, as it can corrode on the way down and on the way up (when vomiting). We sent her to the hospital, they did the treating and sent her back, and she did it again the next day. The health care workers who took her the second time said they got an earful from the doctors there, that this had happened again; however, it is very difficult to watch each patient at every moment of the day. During the first episode, Ms. Ma's mother was visiting from a far-off village (she's the one who had refused to take her back, after the Banyan contingent made the arduous trip over there from Chennai) and I asked her if she'd accompany Ms. Ma to the hospital. She flatly refused, and was negotiating to return to said far-off village at mid-day, before her daughter returned from the hospital. I saw Harini, our able occupational therapist, speak with her and Harini was furious; I like anger when it is appropriate, and this time, Harini was definitely justified in being angry that this lady did not give a rip about her daughter.

This is the joy in working at the B. None of us is really very "nice," but we are opinionated, passionate, angry and vocal. I like it.

Some joyous times: my school classmate, Derrick, visited us today with his friend, Bhaskar. Scott and I stayed with Derrick and his most lovely family in Toronto last year, and we were very pleased that he took time out of his busy schedule to visit us. His son, Aaron, is now in Poland studying medicine, and we talked of that and the ladies, Jacqueline and Alisha. They really are a sweet family, and we are pleased to know all of them. Over the weekend, Scott and I managed to get to the U.S. Consulate's free movie screening, for the first time since we moved here. It would have been easier to get into Fort Knox: all the security procedures delayed us a bit, but what the heck - they are apparently essential.

You know, I should be very careful what I say. Soon after Obama was elected, I expressed my joy though I have no great political leanings, and a lucrative U.S. speaking engagement went away, never to be reinstated. I am stricken, however, at the Giffords shooting and the suggestion to put Democrats in "crosshairs;" what sort of advice is that - to kill the opponents?!! The annual goal remains to keep my mouth shut, but you see, I didn't get where I was by doing that: in the homeland, working for the poor, unfunded. :)

We spent a good day today hanging out with the boys. Navin has practice exams and during a break in his studying, all of us watched "Training Day." It is violent and unnerving, but beautifully acted and thought-provoking on issues of ethics and doing the right thing. Especially when watching it with opinionated and thinking teenagers, the aftermath is wonderful: lots of discussions and a perspective that we would not otherwise have thought of.

My top 10 moments from last year (not in any order, except for #1):

10 - Ms. V getting a little steadier with her gait
9 - Spending Christmas with the family
8 - Getting to the alumni reunion and seeing old friends and classmates
7 - Going to the American College of Physicians conference with Scott
6 - Managing to get a wee bit of funds for the Banyan through begging
5 - The boys giving me a collage for Mother's Day, that depicted what they thought of me
4 - Boot Camp workout and spinning
3 - Working in Elwood and Alexandria
2 - My cancer patient cocking a shotgun at Hospice workers (showed his spirit)
1 - Leela reconciling with her brother

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home