Renu's Week

Friday, May 22, 2009

Report of 22 May 2009

Hello from our living room in Chennai, in a very mango-sated environment -

It is nice to be back. Yes, it's hot - about 95 degrees, but the best mangoes are out. The flight back was uneventful, and that's the best thing that can be said about a flight. I ate British chocolate (I flew British Airways) until it came out my ears, and was screened for swine flu at the airport. This made me very happy, because for years, Third World travellers with suspected health conditions were singled out for attention at Western airports. Time to return the favor. I did have a slight cough, but no fever and did not note troublesome symptoms on my health history form.

I had some magnificent interactions before I left: John and Mandy Sparzo hosted a very lovely, relaxed dinner where I saw my irreverent friend, Jeremy Kirk; Mother's Day was spent with my fun, rambunctious in-laws and I managed to visit grandparents as well; I saw Carolyn Scanlan in a most entertaining production of "Fiddler on the Roof" and had a companionable, delicious dinner with Shilpa and Ravi Mallur after; Boni Hypes, Tammie Horkay, Ruth Ranalletta and I got together for spaghetti at Boni's house and their company was magnificently therapeutic, as always (my wardrobe is richer for it, too, due to hand-me-downs); Carolyn Scanlan's parents, LuBea and Earl, hosted a speaking engagement for me en route to O'Hare airport and I enjoyed speaking about the Banyan, the Scanlans' warm, loving, all-encompassing presence, and some great food. I have brought back some nice memories with me.

The boys' exam results are out. 79% for Navin, with a sundry 80 and 90 (computers) here and there; 86% for Naren with a 95 in math. These are exceedingly difficult exams, especially Naren's, and he was very happy with his performance. Nice to see the confidence level increase. We bought a big box of sweets and went to thank Naren's math tuition teacher; apparently the man had singled out Naren to be tough on, but it paid off richly. Navin heads to Naren's alma mater for 11th and 12th grades, and Naren is hopeful of college admission (very, very difficult to get into the top tier in India).

I have not done a whole lot of patient contact in India, hanging out the whole time with the men. (Our cook wanted her nephew treated for a cold (antibiotics and plenty of warm fluids, said I), and I was honored that she trusted me enough to bring the next generation to me.) We saw "Milk," and enjoyed it. The best part of a movie is the post-movie discussion: our sons often have extremely insightful opinions and delightful comments, and I enjoy them. For instance, I was a bit horrified and fearful at the public displays of affection between Milk and his partner, because it can truly invite the wrath of many, but the boys stated that such wrath is solely geographically-dependent. We also saw a Tamil movie and loved it; it was wholesome and funny, and I like the boys to improve their Tamil.

Time's flying, and before I know it, I will be on the plane headed to the U.S. for a locum. I welcome the chance to soak up some learning, enjoy some rapport with my patients, eat salad and watch movies, and make a little money.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home