Renu's Week

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Report of 5 Mar '09

Hello from my living room -


Almost bedtime, which blows everyone's mind. The days are flying by.

Vandana's maid is a young woman named Ms. K. Her (Ms. K's) 3-1/2 yo niece was very ill with a high fever and had gone to the government hospital after being treated by a local doctor. Treatment at the GH is a little variable, and she was shifted to a private hospital, with the parents not being able to afford treatment at all. Her condition deteriorated, dengue was diagnosed, and all watched helplessly as the bills mounted and good health did not. A friend of mine, a phenomenal young pediatrician named Sai, interceded to put the family in touch with a sponsor, and some discount is being arranged; more importantly, the child is better and has come off the ventilator. Leela, the good Banyan nurse, told me today that the child said, "Amma (Mother)," today; hooray! No sweeter word to us mothers, I tell you; no greater joy to us doctors.

Some days, it is great to be in this profession. Oh, by the way, if you would like to donate to the little girl's care, please do so through our website www.thebanyan.org.


I found an alternate tutor for Ms. E, as I have reached the limits of my usefulness. The task at hand is to teach her to write English and I cannot. So a nice Banyan volunteer has come forward and will take over. All want this desperately poor young woman to succeed, and this is the joy of hanging out in the NGO world, you see - everyone tries to do for someone else.

Networking - nothing like it.

Board exams have started, 3 are over and the boys are studying. Tutoring sessions ad infinitum go on, and nourishment, sleep, exercise, breaks, etc., are being ensured. It confounds people overseas that board exams are such a deal, but I love the fact that the education system here is rigorous. Taking time off to help my sons at this time is no skin off my back at all; not helping with their studies, by their explicit request (my lack of patience is legendary), but with other issues.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home