Renu's Week

Sunday, October 04, 2020

Report of 4 October 2020

 Good evening!

We have tested negative and many are breathing better.  I have contracted another virus apparently, and the couch was a great place to be.  I love having the house to ourselves, especially when I am sick; there is help in cleaning the place and the lady is very good, but I do love space and privacy.  This is what I absolutely love about the U.S. - our rented spot is our own, with no one else entering.  The sense of freedom and space and breathing is priceless.  

Almost all the branches of the Banyan have COVID-positive patients and staff.  Several are admitted in the Government Hospital and several are at the Banyan facilities themselves.  Staff are being restricted and only essential personnel are on site.  Different floors have been barricaded off, and patients of 1 floor are not allowed on another.  I have been told not to physically come until directed, and to consult telephonically; Scott thinks this is wise.  PPE is available and the nurses wear N95 masks all day.  We are prepared, I am happy to report.

Scott and I went to the COVID testing center last week.  It was a straightforward, walk in and walk out affair, and I was grateful.  We did keep an eagle eye on the test tubes into which our samples went, and asked to see the labels after the nurse put them on.  Scott mentioned to our children a few weeks ago that he kept a similar eagle eye on them when they were born, and did not let them out of his sight until they were tagged.  I only knew that then.  We had similar dedication to our COVID samples and verified the labels.  We were notified 2 days later.  Thanks to all of you who emailed and shared our relief at our negative results.  

After the tests were done, we ate at "Amma Canteen," a low-priced Government-run canteen.  It was next to the testing center and I was ravenous and about to get irritable.  The place was spotless and the food was tasty.  We gave the ladies a tip due to the wonderful, happy experience.  

Health care in this city is excellent, so we would have been in good hands if we had been COVID-positive.  However, given the plethora of COVID-19's after-effects and its unpredictability, I am pretty darn relieved to not have the disease.  

Our children had been quite concerned at the tests, so we shared the results happily.  I had thought they would roll with the flow, but I know I would have been on edge if the tables had been turned, i.e., if they were going to be tested.  They have been careful with mask use and physical distancing, and Naren continues to be so, even through the resumption of contact classes at his school.  We had a splendid chat with them last week and lots of laughs; it is always nice to laugh.  

I spoke to my father today and he was most interested in the whole COVID-19 process at the Banyan, our tests, etc.  I hope I have similar intellectual curiosity as I age.  We also shared some laughs and that was lovely.  

The pandemic has taught me many things: the value of family and friends, to make do with less, to enjoy the sight of the birds from our balcony, to give to someone who has little, to take phone calls with good cheer, to pray, to be grateful for what we have and to be happy with the stray dogs who seem happy to see us.  I have loved the quiet and hope that families are spared sad news.  

Unw -

R     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home