Renu's Week

Sunday, August 02, 2020

Report of 2 Aug 2020

Good evening!

The balcony is too hot this evening, so I am sitting under the fan and having a good time of it.

We are well and hope the same with you.  The extended family is discussing the merits of yoga.  Scott is living testimony.  I started doing 1 or 2 exercises after getting a backache and the ache is better - voila.  The proof of the pudding is in the eating. 

The Banyan was great.  I showed up and promptly got a dosai.  My stomach was upset, so I was going to stop with 1, but the cook showed up at my spot with the hot dosai on the dosai spoon, so I could not refuse.  After breakfast, I went up for rounds.  The patients with diabetes are wearing footwear on my recommendation and the person who struck me last week, Ms. X, has been transferred to Kovalam so that she can at least be near the beach.  There is still no public access on the beach, though fishermen are allowed to venture to sea.  This is not a permanent solution, but works for now. 

After being beaten last week, I stopped to think about the whole incident.  I would definitely not have hit the patient, but had to say something to stop the lady and I was alone in the Medical Care Unit at the time.  It helps to go through training for such situations and that is given on the job - not to the doctors, which is going to have to change.  Ms. X apparently told staff members as she beat them, "Well, I cannot beat the patients Ms. Y and Ms. Z, but I can beat you as you will not hit back."  Such taking advantage of the situation is also not conducive to general well-being. 

All in all, though, the Banyan is a great place to work and all are united in the goal of caring for the patients.  Various foundations have come forward to support us for a modicum of our expenses.  When 2 young women - aged 21 and 22 - accomplished all this on a shoestring budget, it makes me wonder how much more we could do if we had the money. 

We have been watching a lot of movies on Netflix, including a lovely one called "Umrika."  Tony Ravolori decided to come and act in a Hindi film.  This often leads to discussions of the appropriate ethnic actor to be cast in the role - I don't know the phrase for it.  TR is an American actor of Guatemalan descent cast as an Indian; there are plenty of qualified Indian actors.  All that said, Jonathan Pryce apparently generated great debate as the Oriental man in "Miss Saigon," finally winning awards for his performance. 

We spoke to both children and they are well, thank goodness.  We spoke in their evening hours, so they were awake, eyes were open, they had day clothes on and were a treat to see.  There was also lots of fun chatter and comparison of clothes/taste/dress sense.  By this time most years, we have seen the children in person but the computer makes up for the distance.  That, and having to heed safety warnings in this time of the pandemic. 

I spoke to my Dad last week and will do so again shortly.  Always plenty of chuckles. 

Unw -

R    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home