Renu's Week

Monday, June 15, 2020

Report of 15 June 2020

Good evening!

It is hot - the heat radiates, conducts, convects.  But we have cold mangoes in the fridge.  Cold.  Mangoes. 

We are well now.  I was sick last week and found the sofa an excellent place to be.  I got up one morning and my usual workout did not call me with the same urgency that it normally does.  So I lay back down, then got up and got my workout clothes, lay back down, got up and so on about 5 times.  Finally, I used my remaining healthy molecules to take a shower and plop on the sofa from where I read, did my Continuing Medical Education, etc.

The Banyan is wonderful.  India continues to have a spike in cases and Chennai is badly affected, so we are increasing precautions at the B.  I was there last week and saw many patients.  Some staff also needed attention.  Our patient, who fell and hit her head, now has increased attention on herself and someone is always at bedside or with their eye on her - as is appropriate.  One of our other patients, who is mentally challenged and mostly non-verbal, was lying on her bed after a meal.  I looked at her and thought to myself that she might have been considered a burden on her family, but at the B, she is looked after well and loved and respected.  That - truly - is the joy of the Banyan. 

We spoke to the children and they are well.  Naren has a play reading this week - not common to find work at this time.  Nat has moved and is staying with a college friend.  When we spoke, it was morning U.S. time and both children were on their mattresses; it was cute and reminiscent of old times when we saw them in the mornings, in their beds, wanting to sleep more or simply stay in bed.

Thanks to all who wrote and shared heartwarming thoughts on Nat's transition.  We are very happy and privileged to be involved in the process, and proud of our strong and brave children. 

I spoke to my father yesterday and he is well, thank goodness.  He was roped in for a meeting of the board of trustees of my alma mater, Lady Doak College, and I requested that he take appropriate precautions.  I did not need to tell him; he planned to mask, glove, keep his distance and not shake anyone's hands.  In fact, the Indian greeting - the folded hands Namaste - has become quite the salute du jour. 

We saw a movie today called "What will people say" - about a Pakistani-Norwegian teenager's culture clash.  It was alarming.  Very well-done and lauded at film festivals, etc., but alarming and depressing, nonetheless. 

Stay well and safe!

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home