Renu's Week

Monday, July 06, 2020

Report of 6 July 2020

Good evening!

Dinner has been completed, and there was a cold mango afterwards.  Any meal can be traversed through if there is mango at the end of it.  Like a carrot and stick.

We are well.  The Banyan is wonderful - good, dedicated employees; resurgent patients; fun environment. 

Regretfully, we lost a patient last week to COPD (yes, COPD, not COVID).  Ms. X's lung function had become worse and she had had frequent exacerbations, necessitating multiple hospital visits.  Most recently, she had been evaluated at a Government facility and did not improve.  When the lung deteriorates to a great extent, there is very little that can be done to help the patient through yet another exacerbation.  This did not prevent me, however, from wondering what else I could have done.  The patient's oxygenation had dropped the previous night and the nurses had quickly put her on oxygen - exactly what would have happened in a hospital.  As providers, we try the least invasive means first, and they were appropriately tried at the B.  The patient did okay during the night, I got an update in the morning and gave some orders for medicines.  Later in the day, I got the news that Ms. X took a deep breath at one point and life peacefully passed. 

I was upset with myself, thinking we should have transferred Ms. X to a hospital; this is a risky maneuver in these times of COVID, Scott pointed out.  I agreed, but could not shake the thought that I had not done enough.  Ultimately, it is for the best that Ms. X died surrounded by love and care, and passed away peacefully, instead of being in a scary hospital and having tubes rammed down her throat. 

The other patients are fine, and telemedicine is a good way to address issues.  Nothing compares to actually examining the patients physically, but these are not times of laying hand/stethoscope on a patient.  So we do the next best thing and the Banyan colleagues are expert in giving me the info that I need.

4 July was an occasion to celebrate and Scott and I got takeaway from our favorite restaurant.  We spoke to both our children and they seemed well and happy, touch wood.  I also spoke to my father and we shared observations on COVID and much else, also getting a few chuckles in.  My extended family and we had a Zoom call and that was fun. 

Stay safe and well!

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home