Renu's Week

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Report of 17 May 2020

Good evening -

The Muttukadu bridge is quiet - no traffic.  We will likely enter lockdown no. 4 tomorrow.  Our number of cases continues to climb and it strikes me that management here is a flail.  We are not testing enough, the Government (free) hospitals are full and now the Government is urging that private hospitals also make provision for treating COVID cases, with separate entrances, isolation wards, etc.  The Government had initially wanted all COVID cases to go to the Govt hospitals. 

We are well.  I went back to the B on Thursday and that was nice.  I had forgotten the distance to Adaikalam - about 52 km or 33 miles - and was glad of the airconditioning in our car, to help cope with the drive.  Also, where would we be without music?  So, the music played and I drove, and saw patients.  I ate a meal at the B, which I always love - hot food, made by someone else, served with love and care.  The patients were well, perennially looked after well by the staff.  I headed home early and was happy to eat lunch with my husband.  We do shower these days as soon as we enter after having been outside, a practice that my Dad said his surgeon father used to do: enter the house, go straight to the bathroom, finish a bath, put on non-hospital clothes and then gad about.

I have not yet been to Kovalam as the project director there prefers telemedicine; that is fine by me.  We are managing the patients thus. 

We spoke to our children yesterday morning, their time - they were groggy but otherwise well, thank goodness.  I wonder about the wisdom of living here while our children live there, and that is a decision we have to balance daily.  I spoke to my father today and we discussed the pandemic, hygiene measures, etc.  It was a very nice chat. 

It is my hope that all are nicer to each other when we finally have a vaccine and life is back to restaurant visits, or grocery store trips, or haircuts.  That may take a year or 2, of course.

Until next week -

R


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home