Renu's Week

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Report of 22 March 2020

Life in the times of Corona, said a headline in our newspaper.

At the Banyan, we have had to cancel clinics, stagger staff schedules, prohibit visitors and cancel all outside activities.  A residential facility becomes a petri dish in times of virus transmission, and our staff are being hyper-vigilant about symptoms in patients and staff.  The staff really are exemplary in what they do.  It makes it possible to work from home - sort of - though, of course, my pulse races when the phone rings. 

Scott and I have had to cancel our plans for U.S. travel.  The week before last, there was an announcement about the conference of the American College of Physicians being cancelled.  Usually, I try to get to the U.S. to attend the conference and with the cancellation, there is no need to go bolting there.  Especially in times of corona.

Last week, clinics at Kovalam were triaged, with a huge phalanx of staff triaging outside and directing patients inside.  Before clinic started for outpatients, I had to see several inpatients - making wait times longer for those waiting outside.  One of the outpatients said - during her visit with me - that I had taken too long to see patients.  I yelled to one of our community workers and asked her to take this lady to the waiting area, requesting her to clue the woman in on what/what not to say to the provider and to bring her in after I'd seen the next patient.  Much ballyhooing ensued, but the patient was taken away.  The next patient was one of my favorites, a local fisherman, unfailingly appreciative of what we do: as I apologised to him for the wait, he said, "Oh, that's okay," and it was like salve.  Were we a huggy nation, in huggy times, I would have hugged him. 

We got through clinic and then I had to give a lecture on coronavirus.  I enjoy teaching and we had a good session.  I went on to my private practice, found no patients and went home. 

The next day, I had to give the same teaching session at Adaikalam and the room was packed, as staff from all departments were urged to attend.  Scott is always envious of how willing my colleagues at the B are to learn, when his students are often not motivated.  The session at Adaikalam was lively and fun and engaging, and I am hopeful that the message went through.

By Wednesday, I was on the prowl to see if our residential facilities could get testing done on the premises, instead of our having to ferry our patients/staff to the very places where transmission could be high - testing labs with patients waiting.  I have no answers yet, but am hopeful that someone will consider our case.  To be poor - anywhere - means being left out of many therapeutic interventions.

On Thursday, senior leadership and I had a meeting on the severity of the situation and several measures - prohibiting visitors, staggering staff schedules, checking temperatures on all - were put in place.  I was relieved to see instant understanding from the team. 

We spoke to both our children and they are working from home.  It was lovely to see them, to hear of their days and their interactions with each other.  I asked that we talk regularly, as not seeing them in person is one unpleasant side effect of not travelling to the U.S. 

Scott is a good person to go through this crisis with.  He reads out online news, to my great benefit.  I only read the newspaper - finding lengthy exposure to the computer and phone a big strain on my eyes - and news in the paper might not be comprehensive.  I incorporated some of what he told me in my lectures and my meeting, and we are hoping all are spared the worst of this crisis. 

We hope you stay safe and well.  No hugging. 

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home