Renu's Week

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Report of 18 Dec 2019

Good evening -

These are suspenseful times.  We are waiting for a courier delivery, other things have happened that are causing us to wait for a response and time will tell. 

Work is getting very busy.  The Banyan in Kovalam has been frenetic, with patients queuing up on the weeks that I am there.  Some are very sick, some likely have fractures and will not get an xray to verify them, thus I have to play orthopedic surgeon as well, and all such cases are time-consuming.  I do appreciate the faith that people show - one year, an older female patient told me to operate on her eyes in Kovalam.  I am not an ophthalmologist, we do not have an operating theater in Kovalam, none of us is trained in surgery, but that did not dissuade her from asking. 

Adaikalam is a little bit slower, but we also have lots of staff who seek medical attention.  Adaikalam is where I started, though, and is a huge facility with many people whom I have worked with for years, so it unfailingly charges me.  The distance is starting to become an issue: the drive takes an hour. 

Regardless of all these issues, it is still splendid to work at the Banyan. 

Swaram Hospital, my old employer, asked me to join them again and I have done so happily.  They are good people to work for and the place is fun, so I am enjoying my work there, too. 

Last week, we drove to Bangalore.  We are now at the age when contemporaries' children marry, and we attended a cousin's son's wedding.  It was nice to see the relatives.  Naren also came, having finished his film shoot in Karnataka, and it was simply great to have him join us.  We had a relaxed couple of days, and then drove back to Chennai. 

Our patients get trained in various jobs - housekeeping, beautician, cook, seamstress/tailor.  Last week, one of them cut my hair.  She did a very nice job and I like the cut.  Regretfully, in India, I have to put a vat of coconut oil on my head so I cannot toss around my curls as I do in the U.S.  At least one patient in Adaikalam gets quite concerned when I show up sans oil and with the locks flying: she reaches under her pillow, produces a comb and suggests that I comb said unruly mess.  It is quite funny, overall, but I do remain a little afraid of her opinion of my hair :).

Christmas is almost here.  I listen to Christmas music now when I drive.  It is nice. 

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home