Renu's Week

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Report of 19 January 2020

I wonder if one-sided shoulder stiffness can be polymyalgia rheumatica.  No history of accidents, lifting heavy weights, unusually strenuous workouts.  The right shoulder has been hurting all week, starting at a talk on Monday when I could not reach across the table for a bottle of water. 

Also, how does one get mold off swim goggles?  I have tried vinegar, Dawn, a local herbal hairwash product, and scrubbing with toothpaste.  Nada. 

We are well and hope the same with you.  Scott and I went to a talk on mental health in indigenous communities; it was organised by the Banyan and I learnt something.  It was a late night, and I had to make an effort to get to my workout the next day.  It was a well-attended talk, as Banyan talks are. 

I went to Adaikalam one day this week.  A few days ago, we got some splendid news.  The son of one of my former colleagues has been selected for a job in the Middle East.  He was careful and vetted the jobs carefully, ensuring that he did not go through an employment agent.  We have watched this young man get educated and then get his first job and now he is overseas, earning well!  We are as pleased as punch, as the family's economic status is now better, and the young man is at a job that he is well-trained for.  "Pull 1 person out of poverty."   

Yet another colleague, a health care workers, is studying by correspondence (distance learning).  She will finish her degree in psychology in a couple of years, we hope, and will likely become a counsellor; I can't wait.  She is a single parent, and is a shining example to her daughter of how not to wilt when a spouse abandons you. 

Pongal, our harvest festival, was this week.  Scott and I had a few days off and enjoyed being home.  I was a bit sick for 2 of the 3 days and am rabidly diagnosing myself.  What of this right shoulder pain, I wonder. 

We had pongal, the sweet dish made of rice and jaggery and ghee, made by the vocational training unit of the Banyan.  The lady who helps us around our house also made it using millets, a hardy and healthy grain.  So we had all manner of sweet treats to celebrate this important festival.  We were at Writer's Cafe yesterday - our favorite place to eat.  We caught up with familiar personnel there, and had a good meal.  After that, we went to a concert by "Violin Nomads," which was excellent.  Nice music from around the world, which is unfailingly lovely.  We saw my brother and his daughter at the venue, which also hosts classes in French (my niece attends); that was good fun.   

We spoke separately to both boys, who were busy.  I remain perennially grateful that they still find time for us.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home