Renu's Week

Thursday, October 08, 2015

Report of 8 October 2015

Hello from the Terre Haute library!

It is nice to read and write, and be surrounded by books.

Work is wonderful.  Last week, we had the usual quota of alcohol imbibers admitted on Friday and Saturday.  One of them was a Rose-Hulman student, he of the school known for engineering excellence, 20 years old.  The drinking age in Indiana is 21.  We have admitted 18 and 19 year olds also for alcohol intoxication; the 19 year old had also smoked K2, a synthetic marijuana, and was to be arrested on discharge.  "Don't tell him that," said the nurse.  Said 20-year-old was seen to have pancreatitis - inflammation of the pancreas often from alcohol use - and I thought he and I should have a discussion on that.  So we did.  With young people, I don't present the best case scenario right away: I speak of the worst case, replete with horrendous outcomes, dire predictions and ominous facial expressions.  I can actually feel the expressions, leading Naren, our actor son, to remark to his professors that he and I are similar.  The 20-year-old, X, was mildly interested in the adverse effects of his pancreas shutting down, and then I spoke of the arrest of the other patient: that appeared to resonate with this one, and my medical advice to lay off the sauce until he was of legal drinking age may be heeded.

In rough clinics that I have worked in, young men have often not been interested in the life-threatening potential of marijuana; that it could cause impotence was often alarming.  Hey, to each their own in terms of priorities - "I don't mind being dead; that I cannot have an erection would be detrimental."

Synthetic marijuana is so much worse than natural mj.  We have no idea of the additives in synthetics, and how lethal they can be; I have admitted K2-users to the ICU with dangerously low blood pressures, and neurologists have spoken of K2 causing seizures.  As a teenager, I have been at parties where illicit substances were produced and it was quite a Herculean feat to decline: I felt as though a neon light would shine on me right away, that bells would ring in adverse fashion and that the whole world would sneer at she who would decline a joint.  None of that happened.

I have a week off this week, barring an evening shift tomorrow, and we have enjoyed it.  A bunch of colleagues came over for lunch to our pretty across-the-street-from-the-hospital apartment, and we enjoyed gabbing with nurses, techs, custodial workers, physicians, case managers.  The spicy food was eaten before the bland food, which unfailingly surprises me.  We got together with Dr. Robert Love, mentor extraordinaire, and with Louise Hass, friend beyond compare; annually, both give a nice boost to my spirits with genial conversation and sage observations on life and work.  Scott and I also saw "Sicario," I being a huge Benicio Del Toro fan, and groped for other movies to watch, but there are no other worthwhile ones out.

Our sons are fine, 1 in L.A. being an actor, and 1 in Terre Haute being an engineering student.  I spoke to my father today and that was wonderful: we will see him the week after we arrive in Chennai.

The annual struggle to contain our luggage as we return to India has begun.  I resolve every year to make our luggage manageable and then end up buying chocolate and goodies for those at the Banyan who do not travel overseas and cannot ordinarily afford chocolate; I like these folks to have the same experiences as others who have tasted chocolate and other goodies from overseas.  To have done so is considered a status symbol, and I would like the Banyan staff and patients to also have it.  My friend, Colleen, unceasingly understands this.

Hope all of you are well.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home