Renu's Week

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Report of 22 June 2014

A soccer game on T.V., a yelling husband, a son playing League of Legends - by golly, it is good to be at home.

We had a nice weekend in L.A.  It was capped off by a brunch at the home of our son's hosts, David and Peter.  We'd wanted to take everybody out to eat, but Peter suggested we eat at their house and donate our expected expense to the Banyan.  Very sweet, I thought.  We went with David to an awesome Farmer's Market, bought good fruit and some tasty baked goods, and had brunch in D&P's back yard, surrounded by lemon and orange trees.  Lovely, lovely.  Crossing generations, Mohit, Naren, Navin and Christopher enthralling me with their chatter.  David and Peter sharing parenthood stories.  Perfect weather.  It was a memorable time.

Our flight from Phoenix to Indy was delayed and I have never been happier for a delay, as it enabled us to watch the Spurs win the NBA championship.  We love, love, love that team.  United Nations in their team roster, and unselfish, excellent play.  I was sorry we could not watch all of it, especially the post-game celebrations, but about 3 people have recorded it for us and we now have to show up at these folks' houses to watch it.  Surprising that in this day of technology, we cannot have a portable recording.  Still - I am so glad the Spurs won.  The TV channels later were talking more about why the Heat lost than exulting over the Spurs' win.  Hoo hoo!  We'll take it.  We're low-key and not about flash and dash, our players don't have lucrative endorsements, but we win championships with clean and good play.

Work has been fabulous.  Jasper is beautiful and I am enjoying my daily walks.  The people are nice, no one is rattled by a short dark-skinned woman toodling about on the streets or the hospital.  My colleagues are good and kind and competent.  They also address me by my first name (and pronounced correctly!), which I love.  We manage as many cases as we can, given that we don't have the entire gamut of specialities represented in our hospital.

A 51 year old man had a heart attack outside the hospital, his son did CPR and revived him, and he was admitted.  He had stents put in his heart arteries, and then started bleeding.  The ICU team responded well, and a massive transfusion was initiated.  They managed to stop the bleeding, which was impressive.  However, 30 minutes of CPR does not guarantee blood flow to the brain, and the patient showed no meaningful signs of life.  His family took him off the ventilator yesterday, while I was on my late shift, and he died.  It causes one to think about the extent of interventions and their benefit.

We hope to see a couple of movies this week.  The family and I went out for lunch today and partook of some of Jasper's fine cuisine.  I had a lovely salad and a most healthy, unsweetened parfait with fresh peaches and granola, and all of it was delicious.

I will try to talk to my father this week.  I enjoy these chats.

Unw -

R   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home