Renu's Week

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Report of 27 March 2014

Good evening!

The lights of the villages around can be seen.  Mosquitoes are a little fewer now that it is hot in Chennai and we can leave the balcony door open.

Work is wonderful.  The other day, I was treating a young colleague who was fatigued.  I asked if her periods were regular and she said she hadn't had one this month; I then enquired about the possibility of pregnancy, at which point our able senior nurse turned to me and whispered, "Doctor, she's a widow."  I was thunderstruck: the patient was oh-so young, and widowed.  Ergo, in our culture, not likely to be pregnant.  I apologized for my gaffe and the lady was very gracious.  In the midst of her solo state, and feeling unwell, and exhausted, still finding the wherewithal to be gracious - nice, eh.

Kovalam is also fine.  We have some young post-graduates from our helpful hospital, SMF, assisting us in our clinic there.  It was great: the docs were bright and quick and enthusiastic.  Several patients still wanted me to look over their management, and that was fine.

Scott and I were in Mysore yesterday, to see 2 of my aunts, and a cousin and her son.  One of my aunts has dementia, and that's sad to see, but she exhibited quite a bit of her old spunk.  My other aunt is her caregiver and this is commendable.  We had a great visit and went out for lunch.  My cousin (actually cousin-in-law) takes care of her special-needs son almost single-handedly these days as my cousin is out of town; the young son is a hoot, laughing joyfully at stories of our sons.  He is about their age.  It was a lovely visit.

Nice to see relatives.  Grand to enjoy their company.

No movies in a long time.  I have not had the mood.  Official word has come about MH 370 and the heart has stopped hurting, sometimes it resumes.

Unw -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home