Renu's Week

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Report of 6 Oct 2013

Good afternoon!

It is wet outside and I am at the Carmel library.  What a place!  Internet, books, mags - all free.  There is a book sale on today; I hit it earlier in the week.  Today is Bag Day - a local grocery store has provided bags and a buyer can fill it with books for $8.  What a deal. 

We are packed with books in India - 5 bookcases worth.  Thus, little place for more. 

Work has been fine.  It got busy but manageable.  One of my patients, Mr. X, is in Hospice.  He'd had a knee or hip replaced, and went to rehab.  There he felt puny and returned to the hospital.  His lungs started misbehaving for reasons unknown, the pulmonologists "threw everything" - steroids, antibiotics, nebulizer treatments - and he did not improve.  Normally, our patients who go to Hospice are really weak, might be in and out of consciousness, but Mr. X is not - he's alert, awake, conversant and knows he is dying.  That makes it very difficult for the providers, to go in and see Mr. X, and know that he is aware of his prognosis, that none of us can do anything about it.  If he were unconscious, it'd be that much easier.

This last week was my last week off.  I did things on my own.  I was fortunate to meet former boss, Dr. Ed Stone, for breakfast.  Ed is a great person, a very successful entrepreneur, and a fine doctor.  I had a lovely time, and Ed remains one of the best bosses I've ever worked with.  I managed to see Carolyn Scanlan for brunch, and that was also fun: Carolyn is a pastor and has a totally fun outlook on life.  I met new friend, Maltie, for lunch and it was good to chat.  I've seen practically every movie in town: "Thanks for sharing" and "Gravity" were memorable.  I also went to a physician for my check-up: the cancer patient mentioned in the last blog was instrumental in that epiphany.   

Navin got a job!  (Maltie, the friend mentioned above, was instrumental in providing this lead.) He works at a firm run by Rose-Hulman alumni and is doing computer science kinds of things.  He will take a year off and work, and all of us, including Navin, feel it would be good for him.  He's pleased to have this job, especially in this economy: both boys had tried rabidly for employment and were unable to find anything but minimum wage jobs. 

Naren is well in NYC.  He was at Oktoberfest yesterday and rabidly texted his brother through it.  He appears to enjoy his coursework.

Scott is fine in Seattle.  He wrapped up 1 course and his clients are getting ready to start another.  Scott is a natural-born teacher, and I imagine his students learned a lot.

I spoke to my Dad earlier in the week and there was plenty of laughter and chatter.  Yesterday, Navin and I went to my in-laws' farm, and provided dinner.  That was a blast, too.  It is nice to get along with family.  One of my patients could not believe that I returned to Indiana to see my in-laws, among other reasons; "In-laws?!  Hmmm.  I certainly would not go to all that trouble for my in-laws."

Hope you have a great week!

Unw -

R
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home