Renu's Week

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Report of 25 July '13

Hello from Geek Heaven -

"Big Bang Theory" is on, we are on computers doing our own e-businesses.  I don't watch much TV and find there are whole new shows on, though this one might not be new.

Work has been frenetic and good, overall.  There was a memorable patient last week: he said he had Stage IV colon cancer, and was admitted for pain control.  So our sympathies flowed over and we flooded him with narcotic pain meds while we sought background info.  As it turns out, he's had some kind of cancer, but definitely not stage IV colon cancer.  He was robust and healthy, and stronger than some of the other folks we admit, and he was aged 33.  Psychiatry saw this patient and diagnosed him with a personality disorder, with a substance abuse problem.  This is why it is good to seek background info before accepting patients' stories.  All the background info stated "This patient does not have stage IV colon cancer as he states, but he is adamant that he does."

A 19 year old male came in with a near-fatal heroin overdose, accidental.  When I saw him - younger than my sons and more confused, evidently - there was a strong desire to smack him one; however, that would not have been appropriate therapy and, as my sons pointed out, unprofessional and grounds for a lawsuit.  So I stabilised him medically and the next day, suggested inpatient rehab for this young man, as the usage of heroin had almost been fatal.  His parents had waited to talk to me and we had a good conversation; I felt fortunate that the young patient had a loving relationship with his mother and step-father.   

This is my week off and I have liked it.  I had to go in for a few hours on Monday as the other team was short-handed; the rest of the time, I have spent at St. V, learning of illnesses and cures and other cool medical stuff.  Navin and I have also seen 4 movies, Naren being otherwise occupied.  I also got to talk to my father and that was nice: a lot of laughter and concern and general bonhomie.  Scott comes home today for the weekend and that will be nice. 

The Banyan is doing well and the folks in Chennai just celebrated our 20th anniversary.  What magnificent work the staff do there.  How glad I am that Vandana and Vaishnavi founded this lovely organisation. 

Unw -

R    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home