Renu's Week

Friday, June 28, 2013

Report of 28 June '13

Hello from the Carmel library!

All of this is free - even the airconditioning.  Yes!!

Work has been fine.  My colleague and I went in this week (our week off) to help out the other team, as they were short-staffed.  You can't really enjoy your days off if you know your colleagues are getting hammered by workload.  So we went for 3 of 7 days, and it was fine.  One of my patients came in confused, and every blood test I would normally order for confusion came back normal.  Her son eternally hovers, and I was impressed by his concern.  His sister is a nurse and together, they have been helping to care for their mother.  As I noticed some unusual meds on her list, he mentioned that they suggested them to her doctor and the doc prescribed them.  The story wore on and it turns out that brother and sister did not give their mother the pain med her doctor had prescribed but instead gave her a much stronger version of Tylenol and plenty of it.  She is now admitted with her liver having taken a bit of a hit - which can happen with loads of Tylenol.  I asked the son to please let the doctor practice her craft and then called the doc and updated her about happenings.

Let the doctor do her/his job.

We had some merriment around the house.  One day, I was awoken from sleep by some noises.  As I came down, I asked both boys what was going on and was told the noises were outside.  Then came a couple of thumps from next door and children crying; I listened, it sounded like a violent argument and I told the boys we had to call the police.  So I did, and the lady asked if I wanted to give my name; as I mulled it over, she said, "Honey, if you give your name, it goes on the report," so I did not.  A cop came, and hauled the man of the house off to jail.  A few minutes later, we heard, "Open the door!" and it was at our door.  I told the boys not to open it, and listened at the door; not hearing anything violent, I opened it and the young lady from next door was there, crying.  She asked that we please call the police if her mate's relatives came and kicked down her apartment door; she had been beaten by her partner, and was going to a relative's house with her children.  As we gaped, she apologised, we came to our senses and reassured her that we would do as she said.  The next day, we reported it to our apartment complex's managers.  I wonder at the terror a woman faces as her loved one gets violent.  I wonder at the numerous factors that make her stay on with him. 

My sister, Anu, once did research on this issue and found that 9 of 10 households she surveyed had the husband beating the wife; in the 10th household, the wife beat the husband.

We were privileged to briefly see Kris Rea and Gabe Soukup, and their lovely little girls, Isabella, Rosalia and Gabriella.  Always a treat - so much love in that house.

Scott was here last week from Seattle, and he and the boys did some fun things while I worked.  All of us managed to get to Olive Garden one evening to eat dinner, and that was fabulous: we listened to the boys' candor, their experiences with alcohol and such, and their easy, uninhibited chatter.  We are privileged in this relationship.  This week, the boys and I saw "Bling Ring (very so-so)," "Monsters University," and "White House Down."  The latter 2 were surprisingly entertaining; good lines in the animated flick and Mr. Tatum in "WHD" in a tank top, what's not to like.  The boys and I also went to eat at "The Cheesecake Factory."  The joy of having some extra cash is being able to spend it on someone else and I enjoyed watching the boys eat and then order cheesecake - which was easily 4 inches high - to go.  Again, I enjoyed their chatter and their rapport with each other: they spring to each other's defense, are quick to do favors for each other and unfailingly tell me that the other needs to be given space from parental interference :).  All of this is nice, even the last comment.

The matter of obesity in the U.S. is not a puzzle any more.  The cheapest foods are the unhealthiest.  And portions are never small.  4" high cheesecake.  A slice big enough for 2, served for 1. 

Hope you have a good week!

Unw -

R

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home