Renu's Week

Monday, August 23, 2010

Report of 23 Aug 2010

Hello from Indiana -

Hope the week has been good.

I got some spectacular news last week. Ms. X, the patient I have mentioned before as being very kind to the young Indian neighbor, had come in with her husband, also a patient, some weeks ago. Mr. X had coughed up blood, and had a lung mass seen on CT, and I feared the worst, i.e., cancer. So I sent them to a lung doctor, who looked at Mr. X's lungs through a special instrument, and determined that he did not have cancer. Hooray! Ms. X told me she had called and left a message for me as soon as she heard the lung doctor's news: "I knew you would be worried." I found this extraordinarily sweet, and though I did not get the message, I appreciated her gesture, and more so, I appreciated enormously the news about Mr. X.

Good things do happen to good people.

Ms. X also brought me 2 jars of apple butter and 1 jar of tomatoes, all of which she had canned herself. So wonderfully kind and generous.

Some fine times last week. My salsa class wound up. A few people from the Y and I got together for Mexican food. Natalie, Chris, Cara and I do Boot Camp together, and Amy and all of us spin together. It was a nice evening, spent gabbing and eating, and these are fine folks to do this with. A diner from another table stopped at ours as he was leaving, and asked Chris (who generously treated all of us to dinner) how he could be sitting with 4 women; Chris answered, "I used to be one," (not true) and it was funny. On Friday, my colleague, Beth Prusinski, had all of us over for lunch and it was fabulous. It was nice to spend some time gabbing over great food with colleagues, and Beth's Mom was there, too, which made for a fun time; I love meeting parents. We sat in Beth's beautiful house and had a great view of their yard as we ate. Friday evening was spent talking with my hostess, Mary Beth Simon, and sharing her unique sense of humor and unflappable perspective; that was nice. I spent part of Saturday at the farm with in-laws, and was fortunate to see Scott's Mom, aunt, uncle, an aunt visiting from Oregon, and both my sisters-in-law, Diane and Karen, and Karen's partner; Scott's grandparents stopped by briefly. The in-laws are a fun bunch, I love them dearly, and I had a very nice afternoon. I then joined the St. V Elwood hospital (Mercy) crowd for an open air concert at Conner Prairie, to hear Duke Ellington's band. Mercy's CEO is Deb Rasper, and she does a great job as many female CEO's are wont to do. I enjoyed talking with Deb and her husband, and partook of some sinful dessert. On Sunday, I had lunch with Mary Remster and her son, Donnie; Mary and I volunteered at Special Olympics many moons ago and have stayed in touch since, to my great delight. The food and company were spectacular. As they were at dinner with the Sparzos; it was nice to eat scrumptious food, talk and spend a pleasant evening on their porch.

Boot Camp ended up becoming a bit weird with innuendos about the milk jugs we run with, a student sticking out her rear end toward the (male) instructor and the man patting it. I found all of it singularly inappropriate, and after the workout, said so to him. He said that he and several students had known each other socially for years; he did say that it was difficult to remember the line between social and Boot Camp. I noticed that he tried to stay clear of the innuendo today, and appreciated that. Several students revel in the raunchy, and it gets uncomfortable. The cosmos does align itself; this is the part of the U.S. that I don't quite like - the tremendous obsession with all things sexual - and the message is very clear, broadcast to me every Boot Camp morning, that it is time to go.

I spoke to most of the men in my immediate circle - my Dad and 2 Weiss men, and that was nice. The other one did not pick up the cell phone and might have been asleep.

The Tabers' warm, cozy, hospitable home is my current location, and the warm, hospitable Tabers are as comfortable to be with as ever.

I saw "The Switch" over the weekend and it was surprisingly good.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home