Renu's Week

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Report of 17 Aug 2010

Hello to all -

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the gift of good health.

Work has been fun. I am off crutches and am thankfully well enough to see the tons of patients that come in. The day flies by, and soon I am driving back "home" after 5 PM, listening to Lady Gaga or Dire Straits. One of the patients who came yesterday was reeling under a migraine. I could not give her the usual migraine meds as she has a heart condition, and I was hard-pressed for other choices. I did suggest that the patient see her dentist, too, because my able dentist, Dr. Scott Prusinski, said sometimes tooth problems can cause a headache, and I wanted to rule out all other pathology in my patient. She did not feel good at all, and did not answer my questions directly or to the point; this got a tad frustrating after a while, and I pulled my stool closer to the patient and said, "I am not sure if I am not making my questions comprehensible, or whether it's my accent, or something else, but I am not getting clear answers to my questions, so let me try again as it is my responsibility to get the information I need." I had to go after the answers, and thought I was getting on the patient's nerves, because she was in so much pain she actually was in tears at points of the interview and I felt awful. At the end of the visit, though, she did very sweetly thank me for being thorough, and her husband said my accent was not an issue. Very kind, I thought, on both their parts. Our capable medical assistant checked on the patient this morning, and she is a bit better; apparently her husband remarked on her looking better, too. Halleluia.

I work with some magnificent folks, I assure you.

After such genuine patients, it was easy to tell the young woman who had a chest piercing (screwed in, has to be surgically removed if she wants it out), and had been released from rehab for alcohol and sedative addiction, that I could not give her Vicodin. We had a clear note from the rehab facility not to give her narcotics, and I said so, and the lady got irate, and said, "Who are they to tell you what to do? God?!" I suggested she take it up with the facility, walked her out, did not charge her for the visit, and went on to my next patient.

We saw a patient last week, walked up from the ER by the ER doc; Mr. X has lung cancer which has spread to the liver. I talked at length to Mr. X, and set up Hospice for him, figuring he'd need some attention at home and could avoid going to the ER. There was a note for me yesterday, saying Hospice had gone to Mr. X's home, and he had come out with a loaded shotgun, threatening to fire it and saying he wanted to work some more. I laughed; I'll check with Mr. X when I see him next what his understanding of Hospice is.

Naren's foot is swollen, I changed his antibiotics over the phone and he has been ferried to class by Scott, thank goodness. Navin was cramming for a test, and I said, "Good plan, yeah, to study for a test?," and he chuckled. I love hearing this sound from the men. My nephew, Sudhir (Manu's son), is visiting in Chennai, and I truly like the fact that this nice young man feels at home in our house and that he and our sons have a blast hanging out together. Scott is managing everyone well, and it is time to go home and join the party. Nothing like hearing that a child is ill to bring out the Mother persona and micromanaging tendencies.

Some fine times last week - I spoke to Sudha Swaminathan, a dear friend from Madurai days now living and working in Connecticut, and liked that; it's nice to chat of home and now. I joined Mandy and John Sparzo, and some of their friends, to listen to a band. I danced at the venue, and revelled in that; dancing is truly a life force for me. I saw "Eat, Pray, Love" and it was horrible; Javier Bardem managed to salvage a bit of the movie, and not just by his looks, either. Colleen Taber, Sonia and Anna Inger, and I went to the Indiana State Fair, and enjoyed each other's company immensely; I joined my salsa instructors, Dean and Audrey, for a demo at a "Dance for Health" stage. It was great fun, as my partner (Audrey's husband, Brent) was a very competent leader and I find it easy to follow steps when the lead is so good. On Sunday, I had breakfast with Tamela Horkay, Ruth Ranalletta, Boni Hypes, Beth Hartauer and one of their friends, Monica; it was a rejuvenating time with good female friends and tasty food, and we ate and laughed a lot. I attended the Indians baseball game, tix given by St. V, and had a great time - I enjoy live sports. I did not sit at my assigned seat, as it was too hot, but stood in the shade and ended up talking to a very personable young woman sitting nearby; she is undergoing treatment for uterine cancer, and we talked of it, her good doctor, Rob Manges (also a friend of mine), our sons, and husbands, and life, and all of it was lovely. I admired this lady's courage, and love of sports. That night, I met Louise Hass for dinner. Louise is an extraordinarily intelligent lady, and is widely travelled; her sense of humor, solid perspective, love of life and witty conversation serve to make each meeting memorable. She has lost her son, I have lost my mother and brother, and we talk of life, love and loss; all very therapeutic. Sid Norton continues to host discussions on faith at his house, and Sister Esplin and Sister Humpherys join Sid in being very patient as I muck around in my confused state. The discussions are very illuminating, and I enjoy them, as I enjoy the company; Sid's wife Traci is a beautiful lady, inside and out, and has done a spectacular job of raising their kids.

I hope you have your share of good times, great food and wonderful company.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home