Renu's Week

Monday, June 07, 2010

Report of 7 June '10

Hello from Indiana -

Before I forget, our single friend, Craig, wanted me to tell everyone that he was single, dashing, well-dressed and liked long walks on the beach and short flings.

The week has been okay. It has been nice to have my family here with me. Scott and Navin reached Chennai safely, minus "random security checks," as Scott put it. They were in the land of high heat, and having to take multiple showers. Navin is combating jet lag with a vengeance, and has been asleep early many times that I've called. Resuming school and work routines has happened, as has doling out the American goodies bought for others, which many folks look forward to.

Naren spent the rest of last week with his grandmother, grand-aunt and -uncle, and I got him yesterday. Spending a night and morning with the in-laws was fun, and we talked a ton, which is always very therapeutic. Naren has some shopping to do yet, and visiting up here. We took Menfil, a resident visiting from Guatemala, out to shop and dinner yesterday, and that was great fun; Menfil is 27, more my kids' age than mine (as much as I think the residents and med students are getting younger every year, there is also the realisation that I am getting older), with a very good sense of humor, and much laughter ensued in the course of the evening. It is always, always good to laugh.

The patients have been wonderful. One of the ladies this morning, an 84 year old with foot pain, flashed me a very "Mom" look as I poked at the exact source of the pain; it was so filled with annoyance, due to the elicited pain and perhaps due to me as well, that I burst out laughing. Her daughter and she joined in, and I mentioned that all us Moms must perfect that look. I have sent her for an xray, and am hopeful that Home Health can look in on her. Another patient with an umbilical hernia came today complaining of pain, and we talked a bit; he is not very old, but has a son married to a woman in Japan, living there and not quite likely to move back. That reminded me a great deal of Scott, and we talked for a bit. It was nice to chat. The patient's abdominal cat scan (CT) came back showing an inflamed hernia, and I have referred the patient to General Surgery.

I saw "Sex and the City part 2." Even bawdy humor can be funny, and I was prepared to accept this movie with its unique cultural slant; however, it tried to mix too many things up - marriage, single life, complexities of relationships and then threw in 4 "trampy" women visiting the Middle East for good measure. It was not enjoyable, with extremely shoddy acting, and I nearly asked for my money back. Naren and I saw "The Ghost Writer" at the $1 cinema, and I contrasted Kim Cattrall's fine performance there with her suboptimal turn in "SATC."

We were delighted that the Celtics won. Great game, including Ray Allen's record of 8 3-pointers. I did not see the French Open, but am happy Rafa won.

Olivia gave me quite a few clothes from her closet, and I have worn the clothes, and felt singularly well-dressed - completely outfitted in "Olivia Fondoble," as I always say. It is lovely to get a nice, new wardrobe annually, without having to go through onerous shopping.

My gentle husband talked to my Dad and said he was feeling chatty. It is nice to get along with one's in-laws, and extremely nice to have one's spouse get along with one's family. Naren has mentioned that I seem to say many things my mother used to, and refer to her a lot, and I imagine that will continue for a while.

Unw -

R

1 Comments:

  • "...extremely nice to have one's spouse get along with one's family."

    So true -- I'm happy and lucky that mine does!!! Thank you!

    By Anonymous Scott, at 11/6/10 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home