Renu's Week

Monday, April 26, 2010

Report of 26 April 2010

Hello from the affluent United States -

I am sitting in climate-controlled surroundings, I drove my car on good roads this morning, I worked out at the very nice Fishers YMCA at a spinning class taught by my good friend Sid and saw fun friends Natalie, Chris, Mark and Lisa (it was great to start the day with such a workout), and got gas pumped for me by a handsome and very polite young man - nice to live in wealth.

Last week was spent at the most therapeutic home of school friend, Derrick Poppen. We were classmates when we were 10 years old, and parted ways about 5 years later. Derrick lives in Toronto with his wife, Jacquline, and children Aaron and Alisha. We stayed with them, along with one of Derrick's college friends, while I attended the conference of the American College of Physicians, and that was lovely - like staying with family. When one's male friend invites you to stay, you always want to be certain it's okay with the spouse, and Jacquline was hospitality incarnate, with delicious meals daily, and a warm, loving persona. The kids were, in particular, delightful, and were mature and gracious beyond their ages, even corraling their Rottweiler, Robin, while all of us were in the house. Jacquline and Derrick invited another school friend, Sam, and his family for dinner on our last day there, which was very kind; it's been about 20 years since I've seen Sam, and all of us caught up (sometimes in Tamil) with nice reminiscences, and memories of a time when all of us were in school, innocent, close, bonding daily and seeing each other through good times and bad. All in all, a nice break.

At the conference, I was fortunate to meet up with residency classmate Olivia Fondoble, and she considerately put me up for 1 night at her hotel, after a late evening event. Olivia's gentle manner and quiet and powerful sense of humor made for a memorable time. We also got to see med school classmate, Rob Hansen, whom my mother called Rob Handsome. Rob was also a non-traditional student in San Antonio, a wonderful, engaging, loving friend, and our entire families hung out together then. We also saw the fine folks at the American College of Physicians, who are, to a person, kind and good, and that was a treat. Faith Fitzgerald, an internist of formidable repute, has stayed in touch with me for some time, and has never acted like the grand poobah that she is. I was fortunate to meet some other folks, whom I jelled with almost instantly, and look forward to staying in touch with.

We drove back from Toronto, and got grilled at Immigration again. As we waited in the car, in line, I wanted to eat the lunch that the Poppens had packed for us and Scott vetoed it; just as well, because the tandoori chicken on my breath might have freaked out the Immigration chappie. We got to Indianapolis safely, and I went to work this morning for St. V, seeing all my former colleagues again, which was magnificent - lots of squealing, plenty of hugging.

I have never been stressed about travel, but I will breathe easier when Naren walks through the doors at Chicago airport. We have been in touch almost daily, and I think he knows how much I value safe travel. What did my parents go through as we left their doors for places far away, to study or work?

There have been many occasions recently when I have been grateful for my mother's ways. She did not overtly teach, covering her abundant love with a business-like approach, and taught more by example than prattle. I do know now, though, that we were her life: she cooked, sewed, mediated, doctored, taught, entertained, disciplined, loved, sang (very well), danced, drew, painted. We ate her delicious cooking without saying anything; when my gentle husband married into the family, he complimented her cooking routinely and she loved it, often asking him especially if her meatball curry was good, or her stew was tasty, and then urging him to voice it if they were. We never found favor with whining about our friends, and especially not our in-laws or our spouses; she would certainly listen, but the message was clear that in-laws were our husbands' families and that it behove us to get along. Amen. I never heard my mother and paternal grandmother argue; instead, both appeared to be very comfortable in each other's company. So much easier to get along, and to appreciate differences, and to love and laugh; I think it is especially nice when the children know their relatives and can see their strengths for themselves. Her sense of humor, which the boys mention, I miss also. Most of all, though, I am thankful for the fact that she treated everyone with grace and exhibited a lot of class in all her interactions.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home