Renu's Week

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Report of 15 March 2010

Hello from Chennai -

The last time I blogged was the day my mother passed away. I am back at work today, and worked from home part of last week. Not much is getting done by me today: it might be the lack of sleep, or something else. Scott and I talked yesterday when we had some time by ourselves in the house, and I said that I had had time to prepare myself for my mother's passing but grief hits at strange times. 4.30 or 5 PM phone calls instantly cause my heart to race with an unrealistic and irrational hope.

The Coorg ceremony was nice, and it was therapeutic to hang out with my mother's relatives, all of whom were intensely solicitous of us. It was fabulous to return to Chennai, and to resume the routine of kids, work, housework, etc. A couple of times last week, I made macaroni and cheese, which is a great favorite in our house. It is actually a dreadful dish, and I don't eat it, but the men devour it and I was happy to make something they enjoy.

On Saturday, we had dinner served to the employees of the Banyan, who had been praying for my mother twice a day. My friend, Joan, owns a hotel and their kitchen catered the meal. I was particular that meat was served, as our impoverished employees can simply not afford to eat it otherwise. Meat was indeed served, and ice cream, and good things, and the meal was delicious; all were dressed well and ate to their hearts' content, they said. I was very pleased, as my mother would have been, to see that. We were privileged and happy to have the distinguished company of both the founders of the Banyan, Vandana and Vaishnavi, and I told the boys to remember that they were in the presence of icons. The boys adore both young women, and a nice evening was had by all.

I was delighted to have the family together; we went to listen to some live music, ate out at a burger joint, and caught a couple of Tamil movies over the weekend. I love the fact that both boys are getting more fluent with Tamil, and adopt street slang with ease. Naren turns 19 today, and there is a chocolate truffle cake (made by our favorite bakery which trains underprivileged young people) at home with his name on it.

There have been patients coming and going by our house, and the B, and today, at least, I dispensed medicine in a daze. Perhaps things will improve as the days go by.

If you have people in your life that you cherish, please tell them.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home