Renu's Week

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Report of 28 Jan '09

Hello from our neighbor's house -

I meant to blog last week, and could not get access to a computer. Our kind neighbors are letting me mooch internet time, so here we are.

Last week, I had dropped off all the men and was heading to the dentist, when a motorcycle skidded in front of me while avoiding pedestrians, and fell, and the rider lay motionless. I stopped by the side of the road and went to investigate. Doctors don't always stop, because legal complications set in, where 1 party goes after the doctor to try and change the findings documented, etc., etc., but I stop when I can. There was no response from the man, he was not wearing a helmet, he was breathing and had a pulse, it was around 8.45 AM and I could smell liquor. I asked a passerby to call an ambulance, and the passerby also called someone on the patient's cell phone. The ambulance came quickly (also a rarity in my youth), and took the patient to the nearest hospital. I called to check on the man later, and discovered he was alive and coming out of his intoxicated state. He was lucky.

I spent 2 days with my parents earlier this week. 26 Jan is the anniversary of my brother's demise, and my father and I go to the cemetery, clean off the grave and place a garland of roses. We did that this time, too, and I appreciate the time spent at graveside; it gives me a chance to reflect on my robust, handsome, loving brother, and miss him, which I do at other times, too.

My mother is increasingly more disabled; her knees are not functional and she does not try to walk. She usually stays in bed, getting to meals in a wheelchair. My father is primary caregiver and getting a little worn out. They remain hospitable and classy, and I enjoy my visits usually. My mother started off denigrating the Banyan again, and that is never enjoyable, but she does not remember dissing it and so disses again with regularity. Oh well - I know what we (Banyan folks) are and what we do.

We attended 2 weddings last week, of Banyan colleagues. One was at a village about 3 hours away, and Scott and I went and had a good time. One of the Banyan drivers caught a lift back with us, and it was my privilege to drive him while he sat in the back seat. The other wedding was right in Chennai, quite high-society, and the bride had invited quite a few Banyan residents who came joyously. It was a wonderful sight to see them enjoying themselves. We caught up with Vandana and Vaishnavi there, and their charisma and nuttiness reaffirmed why I work at the B.

The boys are well, as is Scott. Exam fever is on all of us.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home