Renu's Week

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Report of 25 Dec '08

Merry Christmas from Goa!

"The Matrix" is on TV, the loves of my life are all around me and we are considering ourselves pretty lucky at this state of affairs. I am fairly flush with the spirit of Christmas, the peace and serenity, and the music, oh most especially the music. There is a tremendous sense of gratitude and joy at this state of affairs. I do consider myself very fortunate that all of us are here, alive and healthy, knock on wood; that we can afford to go to on holidays like this; and that we have friends such as the one who got us a discounted booking at this resort. It is lush and green, and today we walked down to a German bakery nearby, ate lovely non-Indian food and walked on the beach.

Goa is a state of mind. The state itself is very spread out and it takes so long to get between places here, that one just cannot be in a hurry. Goans are also renowned for knowing how to enjoy life, with partying, drinking alcohol and eating well. The local alcoholic brew, feni, is brewed from the cashew fruit and is known nationwide. The place is teeming with foreigners, all of whom know Goa for its unique way of life, and some for the abundance of drugs and rock and roll here. I enjoy the greenery and the relaxed pace of life in Goa.

The man on the steps of the train station, back in Nungambakkam, Chennai, is better! His cough has improved, he says, and I had asked him to eat a little solid food instead of the numerous cups of tea he drinks - I think affordability of food might be an issue. At the last enquiry, he had bought and eaten idlis (steamed rice cakes) with sambar (dhal curry - high in protein) and had started to feel better. Nutrition does go a long way to help the body prevent and combat illness. The B often has extra food left over, and I asked the staff to please see if they could get some to him; I'll find out next week if that happened.

We were in Madurai last weekend, visiting my parents. It was a nice visit. Scott is a beloved entity there, and my mother enjoyed talking to him. We cooked dinner and breakfast, and that was enjoyed by all. Naren and Navin had a good time experiencing their grandparents' magnificent senses of humor and extraordinarily warm hospitality. We also visited Mrs. Leila Kurien, my friend Nina's mother and also my friend. That was the treat it always is - full of genuine warmth and much goodness.

We hope that you have plenty of good fortune of your own, and are surrounded by loved ones at Christmas. We also hope you have a happy and healthy 2009!

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home