Renu's Week

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Report of 12 June '08

Hello from the Carmel library -

The F.R.E.E. library. What a place. I have about 25 minutes before I go to work, and figured I'd blog.

Life is okay. Work is on in full swing, and it feels like ages since the 3 Weiss men left. I talked to them earlier in the week and academics were on in earnest. I like the emphasis on education in India; it is truly the way out of ignorance, prejudice and poverty. The Weiss men left me notes before they left, and they are lovely; one of them was an appreciation, and, among other things, they appreciated the fact that we travelled. It is something *I* enjoy, and I'm glad the activity made them feel loved and considered. The other note was a collection of haikus (poems with paragraphs of 3 lines each, with each line containing 5, 7 and 5 syllables respectively); they were hilarious as the men attempted to find words that fit the criteria and managed to stay mildly flattering ("Radical mother"). Life with the men is always good fun.

Work is fine. Yesterday, 3 migrant farm workers came at almost the end of the clinic's hours. They had driven 1-1/2 hours to get to our clinic, and only my colleague, Grace, was available to see them; I was not scheduled for patients as I was working on the computer and was going to leave early. Grace did not want to turn the patients away (driving 1-1/2 hours!!), and was loaded with patients herself, so gently asked if I'd see them. I agreed, knowing full well the importance of it, and with the complete knowledge that Grace would do the same for me if my schedule was overloaded. It is absolutely phenomenal to work with considerate individuals, and those whose priorities - esp care of the underprivileged - match one's own.

So we saw the patients, and they needed medicines for diabetes and high blood pressure. One of them had been on insulin, and was blithely not on it any more, so some education had to be done on the need to take the meds regularly ("adherence"). I requested my Spanish-speaking non-medical colleague, Maria, to please emphasise this issue to the patients, and she agreed. Sometimes, what we say when we wear our white coats does matter to the patients: eat right, walk 30 minutes a day, don't smoke, minimise alcohol, take your meds. A friend of mine talks of how her Dad stopped smoking: his doctor wrote it on a prescription - "Stop smoking" - and then she handed it to him, and he stopped.

Some of our patients are absolutely delightful. One of my favorite people has had surgery to reduce weight (a "gastric bypass"), and is losing weight, and coming off her medicines for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol - because these diseases are coming under excellent control with her reduced weight. We had a great visit, punctuated by much laughter, and I commended her for this life- and illness-changing operation. I also commended my patient who had successfully completed 40+ days in rehab for alcohol addiction, and had not had a drink for that period. It is so thunderously heartening when folks take care of themselves.

Some fine times last week: graduation at St. Vincent's Internal Medicine residency program, where I saw some former professors, their spouses, and current residents. The speeches at graduation are always poignant for me, because they remind me of the nobility of our profession, and the extremely intelligent and diligent and worthy individuals who are in it. I went on to the home of Kris Rea and Gabe Soukup, and watched some older Oscar-nominated movies in their basement. Cerebral movies do not have a long run in India, so we've missed a bunch in the last 5 years. I am here in the summers for the blockbusters, which I enjoy, but I also appreciate a "Michael Clayton" or a "No country for old men" when I can get them - so the Rea-Soukup residence was a treat in more ways than one. This morning, I saw Carmen Bailey, a remarkable colleague at St. Vincent's residency clinic; she is from Panama, and a wonderfully ebullient sort. We made plans for dinner over Panamanian food, and I look forward to this very much.

I also got the news that one of my phenomenal colleagues at the Banyan, Vanitha, is engaged, and to be married in January '09. The fiance is lucky: Vanitha is a compassionate young woman and full of integrity and devotion to the Banyan. I am also lucky to be able to catch the wedding.

All relationships take work, don't they. Marriage, parenthood, friendship, daughterhood, daughter-in-law-hood. I think periodically we need to appreciate the good people in our lives, because we might not always have the chance to.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home