Renu's Week

Monday, May 19, 2008

Report of 19 May '08

Hello from Indiana -

There's something frightfully therapeutic about being at a friend's place, isn't there. Craig's place in Baltimore was great: we got to sightsee around the city, see a movie ("Iron Man" - it was very good), eat out, and then I went to my conference in Wash, D.C., while the men hung out. Scott and Craig have been friends for almost 30 years and I said they ought to have married each other, because each one completes the other's sentence and they understand the other so well.

The conference of the American College of Physicians was fabulous, as always. I am struck by the lack of ego among my colleagues; this conf is an annual update and tries to get all of us caught up in the lastest in high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, etc., etc. No presenter tries to preen and push his/her own research, they merely summarize all that is new in the field and dish it out to us. It was wonderful, and the difficult part was trying to choose which of about 16 sessions to attend in a given time slot. I ran into friends Olivia Fondoble and Rob Hansen there, and that was very nice. It was also good that the conf was held in a city we've been to before, because I didn't feel pressured to see the sights.

I am back at work, and this week, I am rounding in the mornings with Dr. Robert Love, a mentor from St. Vincent, Indianapolis, and a brilliant clinician. It has been most educational and wonderful, as I can ask all the questions I want: there is much disease that I do not see in India, and it helps to ask questions when I see it here.

Today was good. Some nice patients, and some real disease. We had a patient with gallstones who likely must have her gallbladder out. It is nice to be in a profession which works to make people feel better, esp when they are impoverished and feel hopeless. We must be the only professionals in the world working to put ourselves out of business?

This is also the week I take the Weiss men shopping - an activity the boys completely enjoy, and which I absolutely abhor. Typically, we give them a few bucks and wait for them at the front entrance, while we sit on a bench there and either read a book or talk.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home