Renu's Week

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Report of 5 March '08

Hello from the Banyan -

I am sitting here in my mother's sari and trying to get some work done. It freaks people out when I wear a sari, as I don't usually. But I like wearing it: I carry myself differently when I wear one, and it is a graceful, feminine and forgiving outfit (conceals many flaws). I also like most of my mother's saris.

Life is ok. Scott and his colleague are planning to start a program called LEAN at the B, to minimise waste. We look forward to it.

Our patients are well. Ms. M is still in the hospital and we are worried about her. The doctor there called and gave me an update today, and said she had a urine infection, which he treated. I asked if he knew why she wasn't eating (was "anorexic"), and he said he'd investigate that. Some of our other patients who had been hospitalised, including Ms. V, came back and I was delighted to see them. Ms. V had had post-menopausal bleeding, which is very suspicious for cancer, and was in the hospital to get her uterus removed - a "hysterectomy." She is normally a cantankerous, foul-mouthed person, but she apparently behaved at the hospital, to everyone's great relief.

The B's fundraiser part 2 happened last Saturday. Ravi Shankar and his daughter, Anoushka, played. I don't like RS's morals (or lack of) - he fathered Norah Jones and apparently she does not acknowledge his existence for various reasons - but his sitar-playing was masterful. And Anoushka was cute, and played well, too. There were a couple of Indian celebrities there whom Navin wanted to meet, and I took him and introduced him, which made him happy. Then he fell asleep during the concert. Naren enjoyed the father-daughter relationship on stage, and I have booked him for whenever he becomes a famous performer himself; I have asked that he perform for the Banyan for free and he has agreed.

We are headed to Europe and the U.S. next month. I am very excited about this, because this is Scott's first trip stateside with the family in a while, and it'll be good for all his family in the U.S., and himself, to have this time. My friend, Ruth Ranalletta, herself the mother of 2 young men, appreciates my effort in hauling the 3 Weiss men to see the Weiss side; very sweet, I thought. Scott's family is their usual cool self - not gushing, but not saying "Don't come" either. There's a lot to be said for the latter. We will have a good time with their rambunctious selves once we get there, and we will manage to catch a cousin's wedding, too. By the way, all Europe contacts are welcome, as we are looking for inexpensive places to stay :).

We saw my sister Anu and her husband, Benji; my brother Vinu and family; and my nephew, Sudhir, at a pizza evening last week. It was lovely, just lovely, to be with everyone. My little niece, Ahana, kept all her older male cousins mighty entertained and bossed-about.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home