Renu's Week

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Report of 6 Feb '08

Hello from the B -

Well, I just returned from a meeting. The health care workers (hcw's) were found to be stealing toiletries intended for the residents, and this is concerning. There is always a motive for theft, isn't there, and we're wondering about the finances of the young ladies. However, those that stole are very senior personnel (earning good salaries), and this has stabbed the hearts of my colleague and senior coordinator, Vanitha, and me. I swear by these hcw's, who do a very good job with the residents; stealing, though, introduces some blackness into hearts and minds, which cannot happen. And stealing from our residents - sheesh. Perhaps the hcw's feel that their demanding work with residents entitles them to more than usual recompense? Vanitha has already had meetings with the hcw's, and we will meet again tomorrow with them, and with our Human Resources Manager. Perhaps we will then get to the reason for this occurrence. Perhaps not.

The B's patients are well. Two of them in the sick room, Ms. M and Ms.C, are older ladies; when Ms. M complained to me of intense nausea, Ms. C turned to her and asked, "Are you pregnant?," and then turned to me with a most impish smile. It was hilarious and I burst out laughing. Isn't it wonderful that a sense of humor can linger through the most trying of circumstances, and stay on to see the owner through much else. I am always grateful for the presence of the 3 Weiss men and their senses of humor in my life; the last Mother's Day photo has me holding Naren's card in my hand, throwing my head back and laughing. Laughter is such a fine thing.

Tutoring is limping along. The parents and guardians of the young students are not taking our sons' service seriously, and that might or might not change.

We were at the Banyan's fundraiser last weekend. Basant Utsav ("Spring Celebration") featured Aditi Mangaldas and Kishori Amonkar this year. Aditi is a dancer trained in Kathak who has introduced some great fusion moves in her dance, and the performance was magnificent. I sat in awe of her courage in breaking away from traditional boundaries and incorporating moves from ballet, salsa, flamenco. Kishori is a singer and a prima donna ("Turn off cell phones, don't take photographs, don't move during my performance, don't fidget"), the latter trait not being my cup of tea, and we moved to the grounds of the venue during her performance. The 3 Weiss men enjoyed the evening, esp hanging out with the wonderful hearts that are associated with the Banyan. They didn't care for the prima donna-ness either, and we left after dinner.

We had Navin's classmates over to celebrate his election, and the young folks were absolutely delightful. Esp the girls - what a treat! We also had some neighbors over for the same reason, to bless both our boys, and the evening was so lovely - with good, good people and great camaraderie. My little niece, Ahana, cried when it was time for her to leave.

I'd better wind up. Hope all are well.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home