Renu's Week

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Report of 19 Sept '07

Hello from the B -

Now that I am paid more here, I find it necessary to go on rounds everyday and try and earn my keep. It has become a tremendous challenge to keep the place clean, and daily rounds are sapping my time. Various excuses are given for not doing certain things, and I am clueless as to how to achieve hygiene. When Manu was hospitalised, the neurosurgeon in charge of him, Dr. Praharaj, and I used to have wonderful conversations. He was a magnificent doctor, and we once discussed an error that had happened in Manu's care: he said that Indians only work on fear, that the employee at the lowest level is scared of the one above her/him, who is similarly scared of her/his boss and so on. So the work gets done only because folks fear the wrath of Khan. Too bad. I enjoyed the atmosphere in the U.S., where folks, esp those in the health professions, worked diligently for the sole purpose of getting the job done well. So we are here, trying our best to keep out preventable illnesses.

The pregnant patient, Ms. N, who complained of abdominal pain has had a baby girl!! Baby girls are not hugely welcome in India, for the weight of dowry that they come with, but not in our family - I consider this a big treat, and saw the infant yesterday. She is truly pretty, w/ perfect skin and a head full of jet black hair. (Indian babies are rather distinctive that way - plenty of hair gives them a complete look. When Naren was born w/ peach fuzz on his head, my mother-in-law appreciated all the "hair" on his head; I said, "Hair?!! This fuzz?" and she said, "Honey, compared to what my kids had at birth, this is hair.") Ms. N is balking at breastfeeding the baby, giving hazaar (1000) excuses, and I am beside myself; I've roped in all our nurses to talk to her, as the surest sign of infecting the little girl prematurely is to bottlefeed her. Note we've already discussed hygiene issues above.

One of our patients who was rehabilitated (reunited w/ her family after successful treatment) is back. She was found on the street w/ matted hair and required serious medical attention as she had an empyema (pus in the space between the 2 coverings of her lungs). She has been successfully surgically treated, and started on anti-TB meds, and is doing well. I feel bad for this lady, given that the husband now has essentially abandoned her (he was contacted, and has not come to see her). When I was sick over the weekend w/ a cold, cough and fever (clearly not as severe as an empyema needing surgery), and got really whiny, needing companionship, the 3 Weiss men rallied to stay around. How sad for this lady that she has no family, or perhaps we are her family now.

I was in Madurai last week and got to see my parents, which was lovely. They continue to be an inspiration to me.

Better wind up and return to work.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home