Renu's Week

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Report of 3 Sept '07

Hello from wet Chennai -

A monsoon of sorts is here. One's expected in June and one in Oct, and this one's freaky. I don't mind it as it cools the place down, however it plays havoc w/ the traffic and roads get damaged w/ ease. My civil engineer husband stated that if roads are well-laid at the start, w/ the sand compressed properly and then tar poured, they'd last; in India, the whole process is so rife w/ corruption that bulk of the money is pocketed, tar is poured cursorily, and when the rains come, the sand settles and the tarred surface develops potholes easily. The approach to Abacus, Navin's school, is a nightmare at this time and for that reason alone, we pay a lot of money for school transportation.

The Banyan is well. The staff, Vandana and I had words because my orders continue to be ignored - or rather, acted on in the staff's own time. Non-medical personnel have little idea of the imperative nature of the medical profession, and I must come across as arrogant when I bleat that my orders have been ignored. I liked the environment at St. V where I trained in Indianapolis, where orders were carried out, or the staff were answerable to someone. The focus of everyone here is mental health, not physical health, whereas mine is the converse. Vandana would like me to take a much more active role in whipping the place in shape, and has given me as much of a raise as the B can afford, but I detest admin duties - and am rapidly realising that I don't particularly like many healthy people. Given me tons of sick ones any day - and most especially if they are destitute/impoverished. I am no longer a "people person," preferring to do my work and bolting. Thus, stories of interpersonal conflicts, delays in carrying out my orders, ineffectual and unassertive staff - these are not my cup of tea at all. Perhaps an amicable solution will be arrived at, as Vandana and Vaishnavi want to phase out their involvement in the B, and have put a new team of coordinators in place - which does not include me, thank Heavens. When Vandana sits in a meeting, things clip along and action is taken - but she wants to head off and do other things, and perhaps someone will learn her style.

We have had sundry viruses at the B and home, and I came down w/ one a few days ago. I am seriously suspecting dengue, having had 2-3 attacks before, and w/ stagnant water everywhere we look. Scott was not here this weekend, having a team-building workshop in Mysore, and the boys trod lightly around me. We spent a fairly quiet weekend, w/ the exception of going out to eat at a spectacular b'fast yesterday. It is an expensive entity, and one we rely on to set our moods right - sausage and eggs, muesli, fruit, yogurt; mmmm - little can go wrong when one's bellies are full w/ this stuff.

Tutoring is taking a hit w/ this weather. We've given umbrellas to the kids, but methinks the parents forbid the kids to use 'em on fear of breakage. Naren and Navin are pretty eager to continue involvement, and perhaps we'll get the students to join us.

I'd better wind up. Hope life is good w/ all of you. Pls keep those emails coming, and all suggestions about how to keep the workplace clean are welcome; it's an ongoing challenge for us at the B, and I welcome input.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home