Renu's Week

Monday, July 30, 2007

Report of 29 July '07

Hello a little late -

I intended to get to the lib yesterday and blog; before that, I'd planned to see "Evening." I did see the movie, w/ its phenomenal cast -Redgrave, Streep, Close, Richardson, Collette, Gumer, Danes - and it was easily the most boring movie I've seen this year. And interminable, so the library had to be punted. I also saw "No reservations," and though vapid, at least it wasn't boring.

The most Sprite I've ever drunk in one fell swoop was last week, after I contracted food poisoning. The cramping was kept down only by Sprite and so I even had it for b'fast, which is usually anathema to me. I had 4 meal appointments w/ friends, and had to eat gingerly, but am better now.

I have moved out of Carolyn and Will's warm, wonderful home to the equally hospitable home of Marybeth and Andy Simon. The Simons are former neighbors and firm friends, the types one is instantly comfortable with. Their pre-teen daughters, Miranda and Morgan, have been very solicitous also.

Lots of most wonderful interactions this week. First, the Semesters for Scott Semester's b'day dinner; it was a great evening eating salad w/ grilled chicken and steak, and being entertained by Scott's parents Jim and Barb, who are salt-of-the-earth kind of folks. They even packed dessert for the Simons. Then Maryam Massoumi's place for an Irani meal; Maryam and Ali have had unusual experiences living in Iran, and it makes for some introspective conversation, and marvelling at our current good fortune. Their children, Rustom and Golbarg, are completely treats, and I got lots of hugs. To Carolyn and Will's place for dinner on Friday, and to see her parents, LuBea and Earl, in from Chicago; that was lovely and I laughed almost non-stop at Earl's jokes and perspective on life. To Kris Rea and Gabe Soukup's for dinner on Saturday; Kris is a colleague from residency days and a very dear sort, as is Gabe. Both have undergone varied experiences in their own lives, which have only served to enrich them, and now have 2 daughters, Isabella and Rosalia, who do their fare share of enriching. It was therapeutic to be there, chat, laugh and eat some delicious Gabe-made fare. To the Remsters in Crawfordsville on Sunday, and we had a great brunch. Mary is a colleague from Special Olympics days and Sam is a patient at St. V, so we had a lot to talk about; I especially appreciated their input on raising teenagers. The food was divine - bread, meat and fruit - and I ate merrily. To Shilpa and Ravi Mallur's for dinner on Sunday - Indian food, complete w/ the universal panacea, yogurt. It was lovely to talk about home and here, and compare and contrast the 2, and I had a fun time, esp w/ their little daughter, Keerthi.

The patients have been good, and I had to refer a 322-lb young woman for bariatric surgery. She was excited about it, and said complimentary things to me, the most touching being that I was one of the few providers who hadn't said at the start of the visit, "You're fat and you need to lose weight." Losing weight for the poor here is a Herculean task, as the cheapest food is the unhealthiest: a bag of potato chips is 99 cents and a giant plastic bottle of soft drink is as little as 59 cents. I do feel for the folks here, who have to spend a fair amount of money to eat healthy; I experience no sense of political correctness when I tell an overweight patient he/she needs to lose some weight, however. Another patient is to get married soon, and when I stated that it (marriage) is a fine state of being, she asked if I still thought so after all these umpteen years; I stated most certainly, that emails from Scott come addressed to "Beautiful," or "Gorgeous," and it's a fun, fun time (most of the time).

So the 3 Weiss men are well, and we have all started counting down. I need to shop a bit more, but can endure.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home