Renu's Week

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Report of 15 July '07

Hello from Carmel library -

Scott's youngest sister turns 40 today, and 2 friends turn 45 and 44. 15 July appears to be a great time for b'days. I used to think, in much younger days, that folks who had their b'days on 15th simply made up that date as a convenience and had actually forgotten their real b'days - until I had a son on 15 March.

Several friends emailed, called, and otherwise expressed their concern after last week's blog - mostly hoping they hadn't done anything to po me off. "... full of venom" said a dear friend and he's right. The point there was to unload and vent; taking care of the destitute is not without tremendous joys and rewards, and at the same time has tremendous challenges also. Not the least of which is people wanting to help and not following through. David Gere told me that the Indian actress Richard kissed had just committed to being on his Board to continue HIV work in India, and had pledged a large sum of cash, when other celebrities would show up to be photographed w/ R and then leave; ostensibly, R was so overwhelmed that he hugged and kissed Shilpa Shetty. Let me assure you, had someone pledged a ton of cash for the work I do, I would have hugged and kissed also.

That said, let me also ennumerate the ways folks *have* helped: donated money and supplies, paid for my travels, sent energizing emails, put me up, fed me, clothed me w/ their closet contents, sent me chocolate and their kids' clothes for my sons, made our favorite meals when we visited, followed through on offers to have me speak, arranged for me to go on rounds w/ them, sent me magazines and journals, given me clothes for my fatherless niece, emailed my parents and wished them well on their 50th anniv, had piles of junk food on hand for the 3 Weiss men to indulge their cravings on visits, given us the joy of their company in India, hosted us at very short notice, put the Banyan in touch w/ folks who could help, taken me out to eat (food is a joyously recurring theme here, have you noticed - hosting is a tad more challenging for the middle class in India as food and restaurant visits are quite expensive), and sometimes simply let me talk as I sat in their houses, revelling in their company.

The week was fine. One day involved a "coding workshop" for everyone except me, and the clinic was quiet, which I must admit to enjoying immensely. I saw patients that day in "calmth and warmth," and it was good. One of the patients had come to see another provider, and when I told her of the workshop, she continued walking past me to the pediatrician's station. When I told her of the workshop and said that *no one else* was present, she walked past me and said something. I didn't hear it, and the student medical assistant (MA) was beside herself, asking how I could not react to it; I asked what it was, and the MA said the patient had said, "F****** b****." Ahhh. So I went up to the front, got the CEO's secretary, took this lady aside, and asked what the matter was; she stated that she'd come to see her doc, and when I told her the MA had heard what she'd said, she said, "So what? I'm an adult." I mentioned that the patients ought to treat everyone at the clinic w/ the respect we showed them, and she said she'd just find another doctor. We said that was fine.

The new stunt to get Vicodin and Xanax appears to be to claim abuse. I had a patient weeping her guts out in my room, I gave her a pain med called Ultram, 7 pills of a sleep aid called "Trazodone," and told her she must see a psychiatrist. The pharmacy faxed me a copy of the prescription to ask me a question on the Ultram, and I saw that the lady had changed the "7" to a "17." We have reported this matter to the police, and sent the pt. a letter of termination from our clinic. I like the proper procedures in place in this society.

A middle-aged couple came to see me, and were so full of good humor - laughing and joking, pinching each other's rear ends (honestly) - that the visit was grand fun. We finished the consultation with great bonhomie, and that was a wonderful way to end the week.

I was very privileged this week to get together w/ Louise Hass, the former librarian of St. Vincent Hospital. Louise has a great sense of humor, and a solid sense of perspective, and we've both shared a loss in our families, so it makes the kinship rather more profound. Louise treated me to a lovely meal, we sat outside, and talked and talked, and then she has apparently left me chocolate and magazines at St. V to be picked up. I was also happy to get w/ Colleen Taber, and shop. It is much easier to get this onerous job done in Colleen's vivacious company - where she manifests a great sense of humor herself, and a very intelligent take on life's events. I saw "Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix," which I enjoyed, and a couple of old movies - "Groundhog Day" and "Good night, and good luck." The latter was particularly memorable. I saw "Sicko" last week and wondered why Michael Moore didn't get more confrontational w/ the health insurance executives, true to his style. I also got to talk to the 3 Weiss men, which was the delight it always is.

If anyone knows where to get used Game Cube games, pls tell me. Thanks.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home