Renu's Week

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Report of 20 Aug '07

Hello from the Banyan!

I am at work, and will shortly go eat a healthy snack in the cafeteria run by the residents. A new Banyan facility is opening in a rural area near Chennai, and all are agog w/ excitement. It is nice to be part of an orgn w/ dynamic people in it.

There were lots of good interactions before I left. Scott Semester helped me w/ my Grand Rounds talk for Hendricks Hospital, and we got it done in little time, thanks to his expertise. The good folks at Citizens had a giant potluck meal for my departure, and I must have had 5 plates of food; the folks are kind souls and good cooks, and we had a memorable meal, replete w/ lots of laughter and kind farewell cards. Dr. Dima Rifai, the pedi at Citizens, took me out to eat and that was great fun; Dima is an excellent, compassionate pediatrician and one who has worked w/ the destitute herself in her native Lebanon, thus we have much to talk about. Colleen and Melinda Taber helped me finish up some last-minute shopping. I got together w/ Carolyn Scanlan, a pastor friend, and enjoyed her laughter. Dr. Vohra, a mentor and advisor, granted me some time 2 days before I left, and I appreciated his sage wisdom. Dr. Robert Love, another mentor and advisor, also gave me the benefit of his advice and perspective before I left, which I appreciated. Scott Semester continued to do me favors, and drove me to the airport, where I paid a fat fee for overweight baggage, motivating me to try not to bring such hefties again - even if they contain donations for our tutoring kids.

The journey back was fine, mildly made interesting by a co-passenger who appeared to be having an asthma attack. She had a coughing fit, but proclaimed herself ok, and I was relieved. The flight attendants were wonderful sorts, and I wrote comment cards commending their service. I was given strict instructions by Scott to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows before I landed, as all 3 Weiss men had finished it in a matter of days, and I scrambled to finish it on board, succeeding about 1 hour before landing. The 3 Weiss men were waiting at the airport and it was wonderful to see them. We got home to lovely welcome home banners and notes detailing what they missed in my absence, along w/ a vat of fruit salad (easily my favorite food), and unpacked. Thankfully, the mighty cargo of shoes (sizes 10 and 12 for my sons!! - which could occupy an entire suitcase by themselves), deodorant, mosquito repellent and chocolate were extremely well-received by all 3. Our most considerate friends Carol Dixon and Olivia Fondoble had sent goodies for the fam, and the boys are always touched when others remember them thus; the trail mix and chocolate are vanishing daily, as they should.

Well, life got interesting shortly thereafter; I got about 5-1/2 hours break, 3 of which I was asleep for, then had to contend w/ a fight by Naren, Navin's abysmal grades, absenteeism by both boys from school ("The city bus was too crowded," and "Well, my stomach *was* hurting"), an undelivered fridge, kaput email, a car that is not working very well, and a quick, unannounced departure by Scott for Bangalore on the earlier Sunday train instead of his usual 11.30 PM. I can't in clear conscience be tremendously flattered that all this work was awaiting my return, but do realise that both parts of a married couple need to pull them oars if the boat is to move. Scott's aunts have always been wildly amused at his haste to return to Bangalore after I land, and I suppose this year is no different. We did manage to have a great day together on Friday, when the boys were at school, eating lunch at our favorite restaurant and getting some fresh-squeezed fruit juice.

May you have some peaceful times.

Unw -

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home