Renu's Week

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Report of 13 Aug '06

Hello from Carmel public library -

This is one of the best places in the world - lots of books, the Internet, magazines, newspapers: a reader's idea of paradise.

Insha Allah, next week's blog will be from India. This week has been nice w/ some memorable patients. The nurse who has combated drug addiction and is back at work, "dropping" (apparently street slang for submitting a urine test) twice a week; I am full of admiration for her remarkable achievement and said so. The older lady who delivers papers, and checks on her older residents, even going in and fixing a meal or 2 for them; she gave me a hug on departure. The 61 yo whose knee arthritis is so severe, she reminds me of my mother, right down to her sense of humor; she told me that when the Gastroenterology department called to tell her she had missed an appt, she said as she nursed her throbbing knee, "Honey, I'm sitting here trying to die." The 44 yo man w/ high blood pressure who eats potato chips late at night, and knows he should not. Who said poverty makes people unremarkable - these folks are remarkable for all the right reasons: grit, compassion, senses of humor, right perspective.

I was very fortunate this week to get together w/ some fine folks: Deepali, Devendra, Anil and Ajay Jani, who very graciously put me up, and whom I stopped to say bye to; Malcolm Herring, a brilliant vascular surgeon at St. V who has got over the murder of his father by deepening his faith; Ruth Stevens, the former CEO of Citizens Health Center whose sense of humor and courage under adverse circumstances must be seen to be believed; Dima Rifai, the capable pediatrician at Citizens, who is holding up in spite of the assault on her native Lebanon and who bought me lunch and constantly gives me her good company; Kurt Broderick, the able pharmacist at St. V, whose reflection and appreciation for my grateful, happy patients in India always helps me solidify my sense of good fortune; Ruth Stevens, Whitney Moore, Dannee Neal, Jan Dallas, all fine colleagues at Citizens Health Center, whom I got together for dinner, drinks and lots of laughter with; Dr. Robert Love, a mentor and advisor at St. V, whose words of wisdom and perspective are of great value to me. I ran into some St. Luke's folks when I went to see "Little Miss Sunshine" - the pastor, Carolyn Scanlan-Craighead and her friend, Scott Semester, who treated us to the flick and who then invited me to join them for dinner. (By the way, the flick was very good, and has an exciting young actor named Paul Dano in it. I also saw "Step up," which I enjoyed as I love to dance.) Dinner was at an outdoor concert featuring Abba music, and we ate, sang and danced all evening. We were joined by Carolyn's husband, Will, and it was a fine time w/ absolutely lovely people. After church this am, Carolyn and Scott invited their friends Dave Bolander, and Kay and Gary Walla, to join us for lunch and we had a splendid time talking of the work in India, which I am eager to return to. I also got to talk to some college classmates - old friends, old is gold, as they say.

Also on my plate this week: lovely emails from the 3 Weiss men - speaking of how they are counting the days to the 19th (when I land in India), and sending me lots of love. It is indeed a matter of great fortune that I have these fine young men in my life.

Best to all of you. Next blog from home!!!

Unw -

Renu

1 Comments:

  • Renu,
    Glad to hear all about your experiences in the US this summer. I have been quite busy here in Ann Arbor working and protecting my house from twenty somethings and teenagers ( you are beginnign to know what it is like with kids that age) All is well here, I will be headed back to Florida with Bill when the kids leave for school. Matt is in San Diego having a good time and hopefully landing a great job.
    Keep in touch. Maybe we can get togather next summer if you return.

    kasha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 14/8/06 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home