Renu's Week

Monday, June 26, 2006

Report of 25 June '06

Hello from sunny Indiana -

It has been a most therapeutic weekend, spent w/ my in-laws at their farms in Southeastern Indiana. They are warm, fun, funny people. Shilpa, the new Indian intern at St. V, went w/ me and had a great time, she said. We celebrated my mother-in-law's b'day yesterday, and our friends, Colleen Taber and Dr. Ruth Stevens (the very visionary CEO of the clinic where I work), joined us. All present had a ripping sense of humor, so a fine time was had, over vats of food - in verdant surroundings, sitting in garden chairs, feet up on picnic benches, the breeze playing on our faces and the humming bird trying to figure out whether to dive-bomb our butts or not.

Work is ok. My patient w/ fibromyalgia returned, but had to see another doctor as I was not available. I had a bright young woman come in w/ a cold, and when I asked what she did for a living, she mentioned working at Wal-mart. I asked why she wasn't in school and she gaped; I imagine your normal physician doesn't ask such questions. (As my sons will attest, normal is not a word they'd use to describe me.) I explained that someone as obviously intelligent, sensible and grounded as her really ought to consider going to college. She stated she'd investigate the local community college and I darn near whooped: I did all my premed work at a community college and absolutely loved it. Fine teachers, committed to teaching, cheap fees, nice classmates. I told my pt to return in a month, because among other things, I want to find out if she did go to the school to investigate it.

Citizens also has a clinic at the local housing project, and I went over there one day. Sometimes the pts come just to chat and hang out, and the ladies there interact w/ everyone ably. One of them had cut his finger on a can, and it was pouring blood. We managed to stop it w/ ice, and put some steri-strips (strips of bandaids) across the cut. The pt kept up a chatter the whole time, and that was fine - better than passing out on us at the sight of all the blood.

My friend Colleen and I went to see Day 2 of the AT&T USA Outdoor Track Meet here in Indy, and got to see Marion Jones and Justin Gatlin run. I'm not a huge fan of either athlete, finding them arrogant, but did enjoy all the runs, throws and jumps, and marvelled at the extremely well-toned bodies. As the lady next to me commented on the last place person in the women's 5000 m, I mentioned that she was still faster than me. It's nice to have world-class athletics in the city of one's residence.

The 3 Weiss men are ok, and figuring out how to get along. Scott had established a schedule for when N and N could be on the phone and the Internet, and all of it was disregarded by 2 teenagers. Scott sent me a copy of the email he was drafting to send to them, and I laughed out loud - "It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened, but I'm willing to hear your explanation." I believe the 3 of them need to figure out some rules and regulations, and coexist, and my in-laws fully support this position. See why I love 'em dearly? Scott's sense of humor is legendary, even in sticky situations, and is a fine thing in a spouse.

Unw -
Renu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home