Renu's Week

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Report of 4 June '06

Hello from the Carmel lib -

Well, I'd been less enthused w/ this lib after discovering they have no filters on their computers, but a librarian told me that hits to legitimate sites like "breast cancer" are blocked if filters are placed. So they have computers w/ filters in the kids' section (which I had not known about) and unrestricted computers in the general area.

We were privileged last week, before the boys left, to see the Janis. It's hard to believe that Deepali Jani used to be my patient, we are so into each other's families now. She refers to my sons as hers, and had some awesome bhelpuri (a crunchy Indian snack food) for them. Her husband and sons took time off to spend the entire evening w/ us, and when one is surrounded by such genuine affection, it truly leaves some fine memories. We were also delighted to see my residency classmate, Olivia Fondoble, and her parents when they came in for "the race." They took us out to eat, which was lovely, and it was a mellow, fun time w/ lots of laughing and the feeling that we've known her gregarious parents forever. Olivia is a gentle sort w/ a sense of humor that belies her quiet demeanor, and often has me burst into laughter at a moment's notice. Both Olivia and Deepali had goodies for all of us, including clothes for me from their closets - so it's the best of all worlds, new clothes w/o the shopping.

Work has been fun. One of my patients came in w/ belly pain; he also has cerebral palsy and made sure he kept his mother informed on his cell phone about what was happening during his visit. I found that very sweet. He practically gave me his diagnosis: belly pain worse after eating greasy food, which can be indicative of gallstones, and I find time and again that if I let the patient talk, out will come the diagnosis. So I sent the young man for an ultrasound, and will see him on his return. I also spoke to his mother after the visit and sent her a note: I find it imperative to keep communication clear and ongoing w/ a patient and his/her relatives. It is nice to work in this poor neighborhood, and to get the impression one can make a difference in the health of impoverished folks.

The Tabers' neighbors, Chris and John, and the Ingers, Sonia and Mikhail, kindly let me watch some basketball on their TV's. So I watched the Heat dethrone the Pistons and the Suns lose to the Mavs. I really like Steve Nash of the Suns, esp after hearing that he donated a lot of his endorsement $ to a children's hospital in Paraguay, but he could not do it on his own. My sons are Texan, so I imagine that my loyalties are pretty set for the finals.

I saw "The Breakup" and a nice little gem at the $1 cinema called "Inside Man." I like these strong actors: Denzel, Jodie, Clive Owen, Christopher Plummer. The 3 Weiss men send me lovely notes - not goopy and dripping w/ sentiment, but more chatty and talking about their day, plans for school, the lovely omelettes Scott made 'em, and often, a little memento from Scott that reminds me how fortunate I am that this nice young man wants to spend not just an evening w/ me but his whole life.

Unw -
Renu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home